Slave Leia, a tale of many resins ;)

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
mdb
Captain
Captain

Re: Slave Leia, a tale of many resins ;)

Post by mdb »

I've had a chance to see and compare mine to the most commonly available kit. I think that kit is prettier than the original but it is quite different, it's very smooth and quite flat. The paint is gorgeous and I have plans on tracking it down to use myself (seems to be a duo tone rather than flat metallic).

I know it would have been cheaper to buy one but I wound up learning so much so I figured it was like paying for a course I could take in my own time ;)

Thanks again :) My next project is for Sydney Supanova and has reaffirmed my total and utter loathing of plaster. That's unfair really, it's my inability to work with it easily. I have a plan that involves procuring a large block of water based clay though. It should help me be able to make poured molds as opposed to built up with cloth molds.
And patience to wait for the things to fully cure.
Deadalus Thorn
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Deadalus Thorn »

Have you tried Ultracal 60?

Its a Plaster that cures fast and harder than normal plaster, its very good for Vac plugs and support molds.
But can also be carved and sculpted.
You can also use it as a 2-3part negative slush coat mold for Latex parts (like Dex used for the Gamorrean)

I have about 40Kg of it on hand if you want to take a few kg to try out, then I am more than happy to give you some :)
Kind Regards
Deadalus Thorn

Feel free to join our Facebook group
SDT replica props and costumes
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gi ... 108&ref=mf
mdb
Captain
Captain

Post by mdb »

Thanks :) I am nearly finished though, looking at the last mold curing in the sun right now. I just have to be patient as I am prone to opening molds before they are cured fully. And I am now ok with totally destroying the support to preserve the mold ;) Which was my other problem ;)

The Leia molds were a great practice of one kind, this is a great practice of another kind ;)
mdb
Captain
Captain

Post by mdb »

I'm looking at making a flexible set from some semi-rigid urethanes (love the samples on display at Top Mark :) ) and possibly rebuilding parts of my molds. Make that definitely repairing some of those molds ;)

The bikini got a little bit of publicity this month :) I didn't realise the West version of The Aucklander was that much different to the Central so I was really lucky to get a copy (I didn't buy the paper that day as I had someone get me a copy from the central suburbs).
Anaria
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Anaria »

Great article - your sculpting/casting work with latex and resins is just amazing! Thanks for posting a scan, wish we got the article here on the North Shore. The photos are neat :)
Rebel Legion - former LAC
Costume website FB page SWNZ FB