(Re-)making a toy display room

Star Wars action figures, models, statues, stickers, cards, promotional items, and other collectibles.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

(Re-)making a toy display room

Post by MattG »

Last October, we had to take down some of the shelving and collectibles from our spare bedroom, for the SWNZ Armageddon display. That rearranging got us thinking...the shelving and displays in that room had grown in a sort of organic, semi-random manner...maybe it was time to strip everything out and redesign the shelving system from the ground up.

It seemed a good idea at the time :? . Kristy and I started breaking things down, and got rid of a couple of old desks that formed the foundation of a couple of displays, boxed a ton of figures up. ...And that's how things have pretty much stayed for 7 or 8 months...boxes and loose collectibles covering most of the floor.
Attachments
'Before' image
'Before' image
'Before' image
'Before' image
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: (Re-)making a toy display room

Post by MattG »

...Until today.

The goal is to have modular, adjustable shelving around the whole room, with storage space at either end, and enough space in the middle to move around in (or even fit a guest bed, actually being a spare bedroom and all that). On my way home from work today, I picked up everything to tackle the first wall...the smallest wall in the room (because of the way the door opens into it), as a bit of of a prototype. Got 3 vertical runs of shelving bracket installed, 4 shelves up to 1600mm in length and 600mm deep, and the skeleton of storage space all set up.

Here's a progress pic :) The room has a higher than normal stud. That' a big Falcon, an old Falcon, and an old AT-AT put in place for scale.

By the end of the week, we hope to have the opposite wall done, with 2400mm wide shelving all the way up.
Attachments
Stage 1 of the first wall
Stage 1 of the first wall
steved
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by steved »

Fantastic haul Matt... This room will look great when you have it completed. Was that a carded Bib Fortuna I spotted?! My childhood comes flashing back....
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

steved wrote:...Was that a carded Bib Fortuna I spotted?! My childhood comes flashing back....
Yup, I've got a Bib amongst my carded vintage figs. More pics of him over in this thread.
reelcollectibles
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by reelcollectibles »

Nice Matt. I'm glad to see you've done a nice deep 600 shelf, makes it far easier to add those oversize items. Any new plans for the hanging items?
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

Looking great Matt. I'll be watching this project with great interest.
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Reverend Strone »

Your display always impressed the heck out of me Matt so I can't wait to check out version 2.0 and witness it taking shape. I loved your mini dioramas/scenes and thought they worked really well. Hanging ships is a great notion too, freeing up shelf space for figures and giving the whole room more dynamism than rows of uniform shelves can ever offer.

I'm also interested to keep an eye on it because my own toy room is going to be happening this year too. I'm keen to steal good display ideas from you! :D Our plans have been drawn up and quotes obtained from the builders, so now we're awaiting council consent to begin building. It'll be a sleep-out/rumpus/creative room, but right now it is also slated to be my toy display room with one wall entirely devoted to deep, embedded glass-fronted display cases and at least one other wall intended to support hanging displays, framed art and free-standing display cases. I hope to have a glass-topped coffee table with an illuminated diorama inside it as well, assuming there is sufficient floor space for it once everything else is in place.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Reverend Strone wrote:...it is also slated to be my toy display room with one wall entirely devoted to deep, embedded glass-fronted display cases and at least one other wall intended to support hanging displays, framed art and free-standing display cases. I hope to have a glass-topped coffee table with an illuminated diorama inside it as well, assuming there is sufficient floor space for it once everything else is in place.
Sounds totally awesome.
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Reverend Strone »

Thanks. I just need to ensure I don't run out of money halfway through!

So what's your plan for dividing up your displays Matt? Will you theme them by scenes, or character, or keep your loose figures in sections according to their date of production (ie: Saga over here, Vintage of there, POTF2 over the other side, etc...), or some other plan?
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Reverend Strone wrote:...
So what's your plan for dividing up your displays Matt? Will you theme them by scenes, or character, or keep your loose figures in sections according to their date of production (ie: Saga over here, Vintage of there, POTF2 over the other side, etc...), or some other plan?
Yeah, we've been having that exact same discussion for a while now. The answer is probably "all of the above". I think most of the separation will be based on planets/environments, but within those vintage, modern and animated-style will probably be separated a bit. Not sure about the approach of segregating beyond that yet, although I do think the early POTF2 look quite out of synch with the modern sculpts. I can envisage a few little "figure parade" sub-displays, like astromechs all together, some of the short-run/exclusive sets like Shadows of the Empire, or other expanded universe, plus probably some trooper armies. I'd also like to have a complete vintage line-up all together, but that's going to require purchasing a few double-up figures to account for those that are dedicated to existing dioramas.

Definitely want to make use of the growing number of playset accessories we've got, so will have a Hoth with lots of turrets etc, Geonosis arena, Tatooine (Jabba's Palace, Sandcrawler droid sale, Cantina etc), Endor. I think working it all is going to be quite a fun task.

Our main goals are to organise things so that we know where things are, and where new acquisitions can go. At the moment, I can't reliably tell you what figures over the last couple of years we've got, vs which ones we need.