(Re-)making a toy display room

Star Wars action figures, models, statues, stickers, cards, promotional items, and other collectibles.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: (Re-)making a toy display room

Post by MattG »

Reverend Strone wrote:...Hanging ships is a great notion too, freeing up shelf space for figures and giving the whole room more dynamism than rows of uniform shelves can ever offer. ...
reelcollectibles wrote:...Any new plans for the hanging items?
There's possibly a little more room for hanging stuff from the ceiling, but we'll also be hanging things from under shelves, for low-level flight, like snowspeeders, pod-racers, and other atmospheric craft.
Anaria
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Anaria »

Reverend Strone wrote:... my toy display room with one wall entirely devoted to deep, embedded glass-fronted display cases and at least one other wall intended to support hanging displays, framed art and free-standing display cases. I hope to have a glass-topped coffee table with an illuminated diorama inside it as well...
Really looking forward to your figure room being completed, sounds awesome :)

It's exciting to think of finally having more space to plan out displays - for ages it was just "put the figure somewhere there's space" so some scenes really made no sense. Though I get the feeling once we get everything on display, we'll see the gaps and go shopping for the figures we forgot we didn't have...
Rebel Legion - former LAC
Costume website FB page SWNZ FB

Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

MattG wrote:... The goal is to have modular, adjustable shelving around the whole room ...
NNNnnnnnnooooooo.......!!!!! :no:

What you need is glass enclosed cabinets, otherwise you'll be spending DAYS dusting / cleaning them all them time. I used to have all my figures / vehicles on similar shelves way back when there was only three shelves needed, and even then it used to take an entire weekend to take them all down, dust / clean them and put them back ... and even worse when one wobbly figure knocked the other down like dominoes! :(
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Yeah, glass cases are definitely nice to keep dust off things, and we do have a few around the house, with a view to get more, but the with the total surface area and display configurations we've got in mind for this particular room, it's not really feasible. Will be using a number of individual cases, and investing in a lot of figure stands.
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

Buzz Bumble wrote:...otherwise you'll be spending DAYS dusting / cleaning them all them time.
Aw, sometimes thats half the fun :D
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Archon Revuge wrote:
Buzz Bumble wrote:...otherwise you'll be spending DAYS dusting / cleaning them all them time.
Aw, sometimes thats half the fun :D
Indeed it is; a good excuse to do a bit of rearranging from time to time.

Made some more progress on the room today. Added another vertical mount into the first wall, to strengthen the existing shelves and accommodate a couple more.
Wall 1, step 2.
Wall 1, step 2.
Then we started work on the opposite wall. Installed an 800mm deep shelf for the lower level, with storage space underneath, and got all the vertical mounting strips in place. Need to do a bit more analysis to plan all the shelves for this wall yet, though.
Wall 2, left side.
Wall 2, left side.
Wall 2, right side.
Wall 2, right side.
And, while we were organising the new arrangements, the AT-AT enjoyed a bit of time out of the room, stretching its legs.
AT-AT walkies.
AT-AT walkies.
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Reverend Strone »

When I first visited your old display room I was amazed just how little dusting it seemed to need, compared to when I used to have my toys out on display. I guess that's another benefit of having it in its own dedicated room with a door to keep out airborne dust and what-have-you from the rest of the house.
MattG wrote: we'll also be hanging things from under shelves, for low-level flight, like snowspeeders, pod-racers, and other atmospheric craft.
Great idea!

That plastic dome over the Vintage Death Star is a great notion to protect it and looks really good. Is that a swiveling turntable base it's on as well?

Love the treadmill BAT-AT! No wonder he was able to get so big. :D
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Reverend Strone wrote:...
That plastic dome over the Vintage Death Star is a great notion to protect it and looks really good. Is that a swiveling turntable base it's on as well? ...
Yes, I've got a couple of different bearings that work for that, including a powered, rotating display stand...you can see it at about the 1min30sec point in Fredstar's video from Armageddon Auckland last year, here:

[youtube]qz8dlpIYUzw[/youtube]
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Reverend Strone »

Genius!
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Thanks. The idea did come out quite satisfactorily.