Rogue Friday...what's out there?

Star Wars action figures, models, statues, stickers, cards, promotional items, and other collectibles.
Octavious Thorley
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Rogue Friday...what's out there?

Post by Octavious Thorley »

Masterton Warehouse haven't put their RO lines out.
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

Reverend Strone wrote:Farmers Kilbirnie in Wellington had a single case of 6" and 3.75" on shelves as well as a single case of 3.75" two-packs. They also had 3.75" scale U-Wings and TIE Strikers, Deathtrooper masks and NERF Blasters.
Ditto for both Warehouse and Farmers up in New Plymouth. Toyworld had the same, but with two cases of 3 3/4" figures and no cases of the new 6" range.

Looks like we'll have to wait a little longer for the Micro Machines - just like we did for TFA last year.
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Reverend Strone »

Yeah. I'm fine with that. I need to space out my purchases in any case! ;)

The Warehouse in Lyall Bay this weekend was well stocked with the same stuff everyone is seeing everywhere else. Nice to see the stock issues of last year's launch are a thing of the past. All in all, I think Hasbro's R1 launch, while lacking lights and fanfare, is a much better one from a customer perspective, and the product is really attractive. I hope they do well with it.
batmanreturns
Ensign
Ensign

Post by batmanreturns »

i walked through the star wars section of our local warehouse store a coupla days ago.
there is a lifesized cardboard cutout of a death-trooper from the new film that is standing beside a stall that will shortly be filled with new toys.looks super cool.

i couldnt help but recall in my mind the time when toy shops were speciality stores.
the shops closed at 8.30pm on a friday night,and didnt open again till monday morning.
no weekend trading........fancy that.

i'll never forget looking through stores such as 'martins toy world' in hamiltons main street, and seeing the pegs of
empire strikes back action figures.[and because i was like eight years old,and i had no earning power whatsoever,i never once bought anything]

back before most folks had a color tv set.
video cassette players hadnt been thought of,much less invented. sony walkman players were still years away.
no internet [the horror]
no cellphones, no personal computers like we have currently.
if you wanted to play a video game,you had to go to an 'arcade' in town,and pay twenty cents per game to
play arcade games.
i used to visit an arcade named J.R'S next to beef eaters in hood street,hamilton. [and beef eaters made the most epic burgers ever as i recall. ]

my kids have a range of cool stuff that we never ever had, and its really cool to take a look back into the past,in order to appreciate just how far the hobby has come.

my 2 cents.
"never be afraid to raise your voice for honesty and truth and compassion against injustice and lying and greed. if people all over the world would do this....it would change the earth." -w.faulkner.
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Reverend Strone »

Nice perspective. :) I certainly recall those days as well. If you saw the film at the cinema, you had to carry that memory with you from that point on, and if you were lucky you might have a read-along story book or some other form of print media that could jog your memory, but essentially the film resided in your imagination until some unspecified day when you might be lucky enough to see it again on television or a rerelease in theaters. VHS eventually provided the opportunity to rewatch a film many times over, but before those days (which were long after ROTJ released for our household), the toys were my best connection with the world of Star Wars.

Card art was an essential connector, and consequently those cardboard cardbacks were NEVER thrown away, but rather cherished and pawed over. For obscure characters those images were the only way to link your figure with the film, and I owned several toys of characters I never knew where to find on screen for many years.

I remember how important those great photographic checklists on the backs of the cards were, because they were the only way to know what else might be available, and became a wish list; fat little nail-bitten fingers stabbing at a barely discernible figure on the back of a dog-eared card, 'This one, please, Mummy!' :D There were many happy days that shaped habits I now have as a collecting adult. I don't collect carded figures, so all that packaging goes in the recycling nowadays, but I sure do miss those cross-sell cardback line ups.

As to what's on shelves now, most of the stores in my area are still well stocked with fresh Rogue 1 Wave 1 figures and a good smattering of the slower TFA movers as well. No sign yet of anything newer than the Sept 30th range, but hopefully Wave 2 isn't far off. I'm hungry for some new Micromachines and Titanium Helmets, too.
batmanreturns
Ensign
Ensign

Post by batmanreturns »

loved reading your post rev, can totally relate to everything you've written.
here is one of my original card backs...........underlined with black marker and all... :D
"never be afraid to raise your voice for honesty and truth and compassion against injustice and lying and greed. if people all over the world would do this....it would change the earth." -w.faulkner.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

batmanreturns wrote:loved reading your post rev, can totally relate to everything you've written.
here is one of my original card backs...........underlined with black marker and all... :D ...
Did you keep many more of your cardbacks? I've got a box of mine...interested to know who else might have.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

PS: who's on the front of that card?
batmanreturns
Ensign
Ensign

Post by batmanreturns »

MattG wrote:PS: who's on the front of that card?
hey matt,
this is a ROTJ era imperial dignitary. [quite an ugly spud in my opinion.] guy needs to get some sun.
it was a peg warmer that my ma picked up for 99 cents in a clearance bin at the local hamilton east street market.
she used to have a couple of figures hidden away,and on occassion,she would present me with one.
some really nice memories attatched to these things :D

i have only one or two other cards, both have been cut in half. an ESB era chewbacca,that i cut in half because i liked the ESB related toys on the back [wampa,at-st and the like]
a gammorean guard card,and the lower portion of an amanaman card.