Collection questions first 12 figures

Star Wars action figures, models, statues, stickers, cards, promotional items, and other collectibles.
raeh1
Cadet
Cadet

Collection questions first 12 figures

Post by raeh1 »

Hi Guys

Recently I bought 2 x first 12 1977 star wars figures. Why 2??

So between the two sets I would have complete original weapons and selection of figures and get the complete mail away stand.

My questions are though. I have both a big head and a small head han solo? Which is better/ rarer?

I also have r2d2 one with the telescope and one without?

Also my better condition princess leia got her head broken in transit. Can I glue i back on, or is there a way to open up the toy to fix?

As a side I'm still after a xwing fighter canopy...
Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: Collection questions first 12 figures

Post by Harvey Mushman »

Photos, please!
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

ok I'm not sure if this is true but I heard they used vibration or something to push all the limbs and heads into the body? Am I making this up? :ohwell:
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Small head Han came first and hence is rarer and worth a little more.

Huge variation exists in pricing of R2s, based on sticker and chrome condition. Similar condition original R2 and sensorscope R2 might be similarly priced (I haven't checked in a while), as distinct from pop-up lightsaber R2 who may be a little harder to find with an original accessory in good condition.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

oota goota wrote:ok I'm not sure if this is true but I heard they used vibration or something to push all the limbs and heads into the body? Am I making this up? :ohwell:
Do you maybe mean the "sonic welding" they used to seal the seams along (generally) the 2-part bodies? That used a tool that applied sonic energy to vibrate, heat, and seal along the seams, but not strictly to insert components

Here's a pic from eBay that shows the components and implied construction.

In a production figure, it may be hard to separate the two parts of a sonic-welded body, but there is the "boil and pop" method of removing heads and limbs that is used in figure customising...as the name implies, submerge in boiling water and the plastic should soften enough that you can pull the arms or head off. Pushing them back in is a little harder, and sometimes you need to shave some plastic off the retaining "bulb" of the head/limb peg. Not recommended for valuable figures or in the presence of a vintage collector purist :p
Attachments
disassembledFett.JPG
disassembledFett.JPG (214.36 KiB) Viewed 6842 times
raeh1
Cadet
Cadet

Post by raeh1 »

I'll throw some photos up this weekend.

I'm still trying to get orginal stickers for the falcon off a collector in the states.

I have repro ones I have as well but since i have 17 or the 40 original stickers/ decals I'm trying for all.
raeh1
Cadet
Cadet

Post by raeh1 »

Meanwhile my daughter has the millennium falcon, xwing and tie fighter on her chest of draws in pride of place with a storm trooper sitting on top of the falcon and r2 and c3po hiding in the underfloor.

My son also spiked me with lukes light saber in the arm on the weekend.

I know its crazy letting my kids play with nearly 40 year old toys. But if I don't then they won't build an attachment to them when they are old.

We only have one golden rule. Anything that falls off goes onto the kitchen table. I know parts may get broken or lost but I've decide I will replace them. (I have hidden the original 12 weapons and a copy of other minor parts)