Bandai - Revell - Star Wars Model kits

Star Wars action figures, models, statues, stickers, cards, promotional items, and other collectibles.
mrfett01
Ensign
Ensign

Bandai - Revell - Star Wars Model kits

Post by mrfett01 »

My first thread here at SWNZ.

I have recently started making kit models again after a break of about 20 years. I have not long ago finished a Bandai snowspeeder and I am currently working on the Bandai x-wing. Both were bought of Mightyape before the Bandai ban was introduced.

It seems that there are a few of the Bandai kits popping up on Trademe and eBay also. Plus I have come across a chap living in Japan that it buying them for people and then fowarding on to international addresses. I wont post his name just yet as I'm not sure I should.

On top of the Bandai ban on international sales I was talking to the chaps at Modelcrafts and Hobbies in Wellington last week about the new Revell range of model kits. He had been advised that the new Revell kits may not be licenced to be sold in NZ, which means that this little part of the World will not be getting any new kits. That is really annoying.

If anyone out there can provide more information on this that would be great as I would like some more confirmation that this is in fact the case. I know that the Revell models are not as well revered as other kits out there but they are re-issuing the Fine Molds Falcon and it would be a good kit to modify.

Thanks
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bandai - Revell - Star Wars Model kits

Post by MattG »

I personally have found the situation a little difficult to unravel. I heard that Bandai couldn't ship to US and Europe, because of Revell's distribution rights...I haven't seen much solid as to how/if does this affects NZ. It would seem conflicting if Bandai couldn't ship to NZ because of Revell's territory agreements, but then to have Revell not ship to NZ. :blink:

MightyApe still has Bandai listed as available, presumably because it is literally in their local warehouse https://www.mightyape.co.nz/search?i=Al ... ?r=1755803 .

I know HLJ won't stock/ship Bandai, but I've seen this Hong Kong site as an alternative: http://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/category/Sc ... r/BAN.html
Darth Cadmus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Darth Cadmus »

Vagabond in Auckland have them :D

(The bandai ones)
ZY-Fighter
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by ZY-Fighter »

Has anyone found any of the Revell TFA kits for sale from a Kiwi retailer, online or bricks-and-mortar? I'd quite like one of the big TIE/sf kits. They look rather nice with a bit of effort: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/inde ... e-fighter/
Zac in Whanganui
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Try NZGameShop - Not sure on the scale on that one, but it's $58.99, plus $2.99 shipping (or free if order total > $60).
Jay
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Jay »

For those in auckland, modelair model store in newmarket have a bunch of bandai kits.
ZY-Fighter
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by ZY-Fighter »

Thanks MattG, you've made me very happy - that's the one! And a more reasonable price than I was expecting for such a large kit.
Zac in Whanganui
cadium
Ensign
Ensign

Post by cadium »

I must put in my two penneth regarding the Bandai Star Wars Kits.

These are undoubtedly the best model kitsets I have ever encountered in my 40 odd years of model making. They put the old MPC kits (and even, to an extent, the finemolds) models to shame.
They feature multi-coloured parts (often on the same sprue, how do they do that?), push fit construction and fantastic detail and engineering.
Thus far I have built the Boba Fett Model, The Snow Speeder and Slave 1.
Coming soon is the 1/144 millennium Falcon and I'm sure that the rest of the bandai models will follow.
For those folks who haven't built a model this would be a fantastic way to start. With just a pair of clippers (to remove the parts from the sprues) and a model/ craft knife (to trim the stubbs off the plastic parts) you can fully assemble a model that is pre coloured and has a choice of either stickers or water slide transfers for decoration. No painting is strictly necessary (although improvements can be made with skillful painting)
Accuracy seems fantastic too, for instance the Boba Fett model (ESB guise) includes such fine detail as the knee darts, movable range finder, correct number of belt pouches etc etc. Some concessions are made to allow the figure to be posed but this is mainly hidden at the back of the model. Again the engineering around the way the joints move is impressive. Alternate hands are provided for holding weapons or firing gauntlets.

Frankly I can't believe just how cheap these models are for what you get. Bravo Bandai.