Collecting after TFA...

Star Wars action figures, models, statues, stickers, cards, promotional items, and other collectibles.
kyloren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Collecting after TFA...

Post by kyloren »

I should preface this by saying up until now I've almost exclusively collected OT figures. The only exceptions have been Darth Maul and Zam Wesell, the occasional Jar Jar (ha) and a single Kashyyyk trooper. All other figures I ignore completely, even younger versions of OT figures.

So...

This time around I'm collecting every Force Awakens figure. I've never done that before, so part of it is for the experience, part of it is the hope/anticipation that the new film will be GOOD.

Anyway, I started wondering about the films after TFA. We're about to be inundated with films (yearly!), so do you think the current state of collector fervour will continue? What do you plan to buy? The term "Star Wars fatigue" is being increasingly used...

Me:

Rogue One: well, it's another prequel, so unless something amazing happens I don't think I'll be collecting any of these figures.

Episodes 8 & 9: well, it will all depend on #7! If it disappoints (god forbid!), I'll probably buy selected figures, not the whole hog.

the Han Solo film: THAT could be interesting! Especially if they release Cantina girls figures!!
Attachments
3decfbdd965b16925545936cd1313963.jpg
3decfbdd965b16925545936cd1313963.jpg (24.14 KiB) Viewed 6480 times
Having a cold brew with Lord Vader
The Kiwi Jedi
Commander
Commander

Re: Collecting after TFA...

Post by The Kiwi Jedi »

Great Topic
Well personally I have not givin it much thought on collecting beyond TFA yet. But my interest in Rogue One is growing. Once the force awakens has left the cinema and we start getting news and photos of Rogue One toys I will look into collecting the odd item of interest.
Manksy
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Manksy »

Good question, we're heading into uncharted territory with this phase of Star Wars: as you say - a new movie every year and, no doubt, countless tie-ins.

There is no way I wish to experience fatigue with this franchise, but I felt that way about the Marvel movies too, it's only in the last couple of years where I've elected to take a pass in one or two of those Marvel films because it's too much of a good thing..

From a collecting point of view I've become very specific in my own mind about what areas I collect in - not a skill I had when the prequel trilogy came out, I wouldn't say I'm spending less this time around, just more selectively!
Armante
Commander
Commander

Post by Armante »

I only collect troopers, and even then I pick the ones I like. I added a nice Boba though.

I also don't generally get action figures (3 3/4 size) though I now have three of the 6 inch black series.

I can't imagine burning out on the collecting side, and I'm currently wanting to get the new Lego Minifig troopers, and I'm eyeing up the Hot Toys 6th scale FO troopers. Money's an issue more than anything else! :)
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Reverend Strone »

Collecting has to be sustainable for me, so that means being pretty selective about what I buy. I collect for display purposes so I will likely pick a theme such as a planet or particular group of characters and conceive a diorama around it which I will buy figures to populate. Right now that looks like being Jakku. We'll see if my scope expands after seeing the film. :) Rogue One or whatever follows will be approached the same way.

I also collect mini Micro Machines-sized ships and pick up additional figures for my kids.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Personally, the product level hit the point where selectiveness and focus is necessary to avoid fatigue a while ago for me now.
kyloren wrote:...This time around I'm collecting every Force Awakens figure. I've never done that before, so part of it is for the experience...
I can fully understand the appeal of that (despite what I said above)! The opportunity of getting in at the ground level with TFA is an enticing justification for it being a collecting focus.