Do we have responsibilities as adult collectors?

Star Wars action figures, models, statues, stickers, cards, promotional items, and other collectibles.
Darth Cadmus
Ensign
Ensign

Do we have responsibilities as adult collectors?

Post by Darth Cadmus »

Hey peeps! Longtime lurker, but I only joined the boards recently.

My post is about responsibility as collectors. What I mean by this, is that do we have a responsibility to make sure that we don't ruin it for the kids?
I love toy hunting - Going around to different stores, and finding the things I'm after, it's such a great feeling.

But what I find kind of frustrating is to see many collectors, like us, buying just about every Black Series figure, every short packed 3-3/4 inch figure etc.

I find it's especially an issue when it comes to the Black Series figures. On Force Friday, and two times since then, I've seen a kid waiting behind an adult to look at the Star Wars Black Series figures, to then have the adult grab one of each, and leave, leaving the kid between a choice of Chewbacca or the peg-warming Obi-Wan. And unlike us, most kids can't take to the internet to get one off of Amazon, Ebay, BBTS or elsewhere. They're pretty much restricted to what they can find inshore.

This isn't to say that the toys "are for kids", but it makes me wonder...do we have the responsibility to allow kids to enjoy the hobby, like we do?
What's more important, to get two of every 6" black series figures, and to army build the troopers, or allowing a kid to get into the stuff we're into as well?

What do all of you folks think?

I hope my message is getting across amongst the awkward wording and an over reliance on rhetorical questions.
The Kiwi Jedi
Commander
Commander

Re: Do we have responsibilities as adult collectors?

Post by The Kiwi Jedi »

Hmmmmmm interesting.
Well in the past I've had several incidents where I've turned up for a hunt and found other collectors crowding around merchandise and kids waiting patiently behind for their turn. I've often asked kids what they were after and barged my way in and grabbed an item a kid wanted. In fact I remember a time a couple of years back I was holding onto a rare figure and a little boy asked where I found it. He was so disappointed that he missed out that I caved and ended up letting him buy it. The joy in his face was enough for me :-) I was lucky enough to find another figure at a different shop. Very recently I was browsing through TFA merchandise at the warehouse and an Asian guy literally pushed me out of the way in order to get to the very few figures that was left. Naturally I was not amused.
I do find a lot more children looking at Star Wars toys now than I do say 4 years ago. There is more excitement now and I think the cartoon series is a big contribution to the kids desire for Star Wars.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

This is a good topic. SWNZ has always supported the "Collect to Collect" philosophy (initially codified by Rebelscum.com), which starts with the notions of "Buy only what you need and make sure others get one before you get many. Acquire pieces for your collection because you want them, not because you plan to profit from them". We link to the code from the main news page, and Archon Revuge wrote up a supplementary article on the topic here http://swnz.dr-maul.com/moretext.php?re ... 140517_c2c

This doesn't mean that adult collectors aren't allowed to purchase and enjoy products that are nominally children's toys, but it would arguably be better if we did so with the Collect to Collect code in mind, specifically the following maxims:
- Buy only what you need and make sure others get one before you get many.

- Acquire pieces for your collection because you want them, not because you plan to profit from them.

- Help others achieve their collecting goals for the sake of the hobby, not profit.

- When you trade or sell available toys, do so at cost.

- When you trade or sell unavailable toys, do so keeping the golden rule in mind: you'll always win in the long run if you don't take advantage of people.

- Buy from scalpers as a very last resort. They exist because people buy from them and do not make collecting toys easier. Scalping only promotes decay within the hobby.

- Understand it is more important for a kid to have the toys than you; help them out whenever possible. You're likely to get another chance at the toy, he/she may not.
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

This is, indeed, a great topic Cadmus. The Collect-to-Collect philosophy really is an excellent code to live by, and I think that last point is perhaps the most important:
- Understand it is more important for a kid to have the toys than you; help them out whenever possible. You're likely to get another chance at the toy, he/she may not.
I first came to this hobby as a kid, and I know how quickly I would have been put off if I'd been consistently out-outmaneuvered by adult collectors. There's nothing wrong with buying toys as an adult (right guys? right?!), but never at a cost to the younger fans. They're the entire future of this community, after all.
Darth Cadmus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Darth Cadmus »

I completely agree with all of the points you've made, especially the collect-to-collect philosophy. I have so many of my friends tell me, "This is going to be worth heaps one day, right? Sell it and get a downpayment on a car or something haha" - and they look genuinely shocked when I say I don't buy with the intention of selling. If my kids are interested, I'd much rather give it to them later on than sell it.

When I was out, my girlfriend was wondering why there was a guy buying 2 of everything. I said it was either he's a MiSB collector, or he's going to scalp them on Trademe with a big markup. Surprisingly, I haven't seen as much scalping of the Black Series stuff on Trademe as I would've thought. I think it's died down post Force Friday, as stores are getting more stock.

I think it's important, as Michael_Lee said, that we help people get into the hobby as we all have. Be it actively grabbing a figure before a scalper does and giving it to a kid, or even just by not grabbing an extra troop builder.

I'm super glad to see that there's such a supportive community here, made me wish I had joined sooner!
kyloren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by kyloren »

It's definitely an interesting phenomenon. There weren't any adults lining up to buy figures back in '77. I mean, if there were, it was for their kids at Christmas.

Do kids really want the Black Series? Seems those are aimed solely at adult collectors.

Anyway, I think a big difference between the adults and the kids is that the kids are gonna want the figures after they've seen the movie (hopefully there will be much more stock around, after the collectors have been satisfied!). For the rest of us it's a kind of leap of faith (buying the figures now) that the movie we haven't seen yet will be good (remember the last time that happened??).

On Force Friday I grabbed one of everything (I was in front of the line) because it was obvious there was limited stock and there were several people behind me.

I have since bought doubles here and there in order to have a set MIB for display and a set to open and arrange.
Having a cold brew with Lord Vader
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

kyloren wrote:...Do kids really want the Black Series?...
My daughter bought 6" Black Series versions of her favourite characters. :)
Dawfydd
Captain
Captain

Post by Dawfydd »

I kind of disagree.
If your getting doubles or things to sell.. hell yes let any kid who is there looking for said items have priority.
But i'm against leaving stuff on the shelf in the hopes somebody more noble will come along to pick it up.

If kids are having trouble finding these items i'd rather their parents be complaining to hasbro too, since kids are the focus.. if they can't get the figures they want because hasbro aren't making enough.. just make more.
But also you know somebody who throws them up on trademe/ebay will be along to pick the stock dry and at special time is the best time for that.

I'm not sure how the first starwars toys were brought, and how people treated each other but even back in the power of the force, adults pushed children away to get their collections done before anyone else, i wouldn't push kids away or take from them, but if i've already got an item i wanted and its the last i don't think i'd feel any mixed feelings, though i've never had it happen.

(and as a rule i buy online lol)
WTB
Cw44 Ashoka.
"Arc troopers 4pack", Rex phase 2 with knees.
Rys & Jek (in 2 packs)
Scythe(dvd)
Stealth trooper(w/jetpack)
CW56-ARF,Homing Spiderdroid (vehicle),At-Rt(s)
Action fleet Tie and Tie/In and x-wing(s)
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Reverend Strone »

Great topic. I have always given way to kids in the toy aisle, though I have never been faced with a situation in which we were after the very same toy. Quite a few times I have found myself helping an adult trying to buy for a kid, though. It's nice to be able to apply my nerdy internet research and familiarity with the hobby to help educate their purchase when sometimes there are confusing choices to be made, fully aware that I will be 'that nerdy toy guy' when they tell the story later. ;) In situations like that, and with store clerks as well, I always try to be a good ambassador for our people, but I'm not embarrassed to be an adult toy collector. I own it and often try to make some humour out of it. The internet provides us with options, so I can't think of a scenario in which I or any of us as collectors would have any reason to act like a jerk. I'm pleased to say that in my interactions with other collectors, both on the boards here and when I have bumped into them in stores, I have always found everyone to be polite, generous and happy to share.

Much of the time when I am shopping for SW toys my kids are with me, so we're there to hunt down stuff we want and also to be entertained by checking out the cool stuff, so we always go with an attitude of being there to have fun.

As far as taking more than you need, I don't buy stuff just because it is rare or sought after; I buy what I want. Occasionally I'll grab an extra one for a friend if I know someone else is after a certain figure, which I don't think is equatable with greed or scalping. If it turns out they don't want it, back it goes. :)

I love the Collecting Code you posted, Matt. I hadn't read those maxims before but they resonate with me and rhyme with my own approach. :)
Armante
Commander
Commander

Post by Armante »

Great post.

There does seem to be a segment of the SW community (probably more so in the USA) that sweeps in and clears out stock purely for on-selling at ridiculous mark-up prices.
Buying two of something with the intention of selling one to off-set the cost of the one you're keeping makes a certain amount of sense, but too easily gets out of control, especially when there is a big demand and scarcity of stock.

On Force Friday all I wanted to add to my collection was a Black Series #4 First Order Trooper. I went online at midnight, added one to my cart, browsed the rest of the selection, and then when I went to check out - it was out of stock. There were indeed buyers who went in and simply added 5 of things to their cart purely to on-sell. That I'm against; it's almost like ticket scalping for concerts when you have no intention of actually going to it.

Luckily for me, MattG found one of the FO Troopers and sold it to me via the forums purely for his cost - now that was an awesome thing to do :)