DeAgostini 'Build the Millennium Falcon'

Star Wars action figures, models, statues, stickers, cards, promotional items, and other collectibles.
rastanz
Ensign
Ensign

Re: DeAgostini 'Build the Millennium Falcon'

Post by rastanz »

I just signed up (thanks for the link Edward26).

The thought of owning a studio scale Millennium Falcon seems like a dream come true, I've had my share of SMT/ERTL/MPC and Fine Molds versions and I missed out on a Model Replica Falcon in an eBay auction only by a few seconds so as soon as I got wind of this, I knew I just had to have one.

The DeAgostini Falcon, how accurate is it?

Well, hopefully that isn't the final version because looking at the photo's supplied by MattG (thank you), I've already noticed some inconsistencies on the main hull saucer which hopefully will be fixed or address by Steve and his team, another thing that I personally frowned at was the servo motor for the boarding ramp will be in the way of any modification or addition of a corridor unless the motor armature and it's position is modded itself. I hope that isn't the final paint job because it looks kinda inconsistent... nothing a repaint can't fix though.

What I also hope to see is the addition of the belly gun and all landing lights/gear, headlights and engine lighting operational, at the price of $15 per issue, it seems fair to include these if one is forking out for a $2000 model kitset.

The EP VII Falcon...

Seems they've used a Fine Molds model as a base for the EP VII version, it has all the tell tale details of the FM version. Han and Chewie must have been busy repairing and modifying the Falcon because apart from the stand outish new rectangle radar dish (the original circular one lost in ROTJ), there are noticeable things missing or removed and holes and blast marks patched or filled, however, I am looking forward to all the modifications they've done to the fastest hunk o' junk in the galaxy.

Thanks for the photos MattG of the Y-wing, that looks to be most promising and accurate to the 'TIE killer' aka Gold Leader which is the only real 'hero' Y-Wing as I understand it. It had a completely blue canopy, a blue stripe along the fuselage sidewalls and blue and yellow markings on the engines, and finally, the TIE kill marking on it's nose. I'd love to own one of these in studio scale too.

Incom T-70 X-wing fighter!!

Loving the look of these, definitely would like a couple in 1:72 and 1:48 scale.

Cheers
:cool:
Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Harvey Mushman »

rastanz wrote:Han and Chewie must have been busy repairing and modifying the Falcon...
Who said it was still Han's ship?

Heh.
rastanz
Ensign
Ensign

Post by rastanz »

Harvey Mushman wrote:
rastanz wrote:Han and Chewie must have been busy repairing and modifying the Falcon...
Who said it was still Han's ship?

Heh.
Who didn't?

Heh.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Another resource link to optimistically add to this thread is one of the 3d modelers who is making and selling upgrade and add-on components for this (and other) Falcon through Shapeways: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/308bits? ... +DeAgo&s=0

A lot of his stuff is printed using "Frosted Ultra Detail" plastic and processing. The resolution is freaky impressive...here's an info video on the topic...

[youtube]OkjQlyWljzY[/youtube]
rastanz
Ensign
Ensign

Post by rastanz »

MattG wrote:Another resource link to optimistically add to this thread is one of the 3d modelers who is making and selling upgrade and add-on components for this (and other) Falcon through Shapeways: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/308bits? ... +DeAgo&s=0

A lot of his stuff is printed using "Frosted Ultra Detail" plastic and processing. The resolution is freaky impressive...here's an info video on the topic...
Thanks for sharing the video!!

Designer TonyRR or FZ6 is also a member/contributor at the http://www.starshipmodeler.net/talk/index.php forums.

His designs are highly detailed and very movie model accurate, and he is a great person to deal with and offers a very professional and helpful customer service.
I recently purchased a set of his detail kits for my second 1/72 Finemolds Falcon which I am planning to light.

Here's some (bad) photo's of his work...

1/72 scale Finemolds Millennium Falcon "Frosted Detail" set... model knife for size reference...

Radar Dish is resized (the Finemolds one looks too small)... Rear Cabin wall... Upper Cabin wall...
Docking Rings are a each sold as single items and since Tony was striving for movie model accuracy, both left and right Rings will each have noticeable differences in detail...

Cabin Corridor... Turret Gun wells...

Quad Laser Canons... Belly Gun... Turret Gun well seat with console, the rear wall and the tube to enter the well split into two parts...

Boarding Ramp... Hull Interlock Boarding Ramp (upper part)... Six Ramp Struts... Cockpit with Console and four Seats...

Engine Louver Arms...

Lunch...

First of all these parts needs to be cleaned from the wax that Shapeways use to build the parts (as a support material). You can use isopropyl alcohol, degreasers, contact cleaner or soap dish. Some heat will help to melt the wax (attention do not melt the plastic or use this method to clean your fish n chips).

Some parts will need a little bit of sanding (potato skins already peeled so no sanding needed).

Recommended cyanoacrylate to glue the parts, like Super Glue (not recommended as a sauce alternative for hot chips).

Sorry for the bad photos.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

rastanz wrote:...
Sorry for the bad photos.
Nah, those photos show things off quite nicely, and are really nice to see (although I would have ordered more chips).
Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Harvey Mushman »

I agree with what Matt said, on both accounts, for sure.

The detail is staggering!
Eng76
Commander
Commander

Post by Eng76 »

The guys on Tested.com are going to be building this Falcon on their site.

The first episode (of 25!) is below.

[youtube]TaAepL-FgbI[/youtube]
rastanz
Ensign
Ensign

Post by rastanz »

I was just chatting with the rep over the phone about my subscription which she noted will be starting at issue #7, she asked if I wanted the back issues... ummm yeah lady, I do, or it will be pointless subscribing... so after sorting that out the rest of the process was pretty straight forward confirmation stuff... the back order for issues #1 through #6 will be delivered in the next 10 working days in one complete post, the total cost of the back orders were $78.00 NZL.

Looking forward to seeing these in person.
Edward26
Commander
Commander

Post by Edward26 »

rastanz wrote:I was just chatting with the rep over the phone about my subscription which she noted will be starting at issue #7, she asked if I wanted the back issues... ummm yeah lady, I do, or it will be pointless subscribing... so after sorting that out the rest of the process was pretty straight forward confirmation stuff... the back order for issues #1 through #6 will be delivered in the next 10 working days in one complete post, the total cost of the back orders were $78.00 NZL.

Looking forward to seeing these in person.

Hi, wait what~~
Is this ready for order? is this local?
I almost bit my tongue !
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.