New Hasbro Jabba the Hutt

Star Wars action figures, models, statues, stickers, cards, promotional items, and other collectibles.
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

New Hasbro Jabba the Hutt

Post by Reverend Strone »

Gorkoracing has posted pictures of the new Jabba figure over at Sandtroopers! Go check 'em out!

So, what do folks think? It's a WalMart exclusive in the US I believe. Will it come to any retailer here and at what pricepoint? It's rumoured to be somewhere between $35 and $50 US.

In my opinion, it's not perfect, but a fantastic step up and certainly good enough for me. Item by item reviews based on the pics:

Jabba looks good - great detail. His head seems a little big to me at a glance, but I'd have to take a look in person to be sure. I wonder if it's just because there's such a strong separation between his chest and his belly in the sculpt? At this point it's still abosultely a purchase I intend to make, probably through a US trade buddy.

I know all you guys have been clamouring for a dais, but I'll be honest - I don't like it. The proportions are off and the texture is too heavy, so I'll be sticking with my custom version, which I like better than what I see in these pics. The fact it is slightly off model makes me think perhaps you can put things inside it?

Oola is awesome! What a beautiful figure and a great base for future Twi'lek customs, assuming it's ever available separate from the rest of the set. I'd hope they might consider putting her on a single card in a year or so with an alternate sitting leg sculpt, like they did with the recent Slave Leia figure.

Salacious Crumb looks like he's the crappy version that came with Threepio a few years ago, the one with an awkward pose that only works on Threepio's shoulder. What a shame they didn't put a better sculpt in there, but hey, no one is buying this for him anyways!

The cushions are a nice extra - here's hoping they are removable so folks can put them where they want and make room for Leia.

All the way round, while there are a few niggles, I'm very happy with this set. It ticks the boxes I had hoped it would tick and plan on picking it up.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Hasbro Jabba the Hutt

Post by MattG »

Reverend Strone wrote:...I know all you guys have been clamouring for a dais, but I'll be honest - I don't like it. The proportions are off and the texture is too heavy, so I'll be sticking with my custom version, which I like better than what I see in these pics. The fact it is slightly off model makes me think perhaps you can put things inside it?...
That's a shame...I'm a big fan of environment pieces like this, that can form the basis of dioramas or displays. Probably not a deal-breaker in this instance though.
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Oops! My bad on that "all you guys have been clamouring for a dais" comment. I cut and pasted some elements of this post from another of my posts on another forum, where folks had been very vocal in their anticipation for the dais. That's not true here, so that was a mistake on my part and sounds a bit odd, coming out of left field and mildly accusatory. Sorry about that.

I've read some rumours of a July release for this. Boy, I hope that's true. I'm eager to own it now. :)
acerimmerrocks
Ensign
Ensign

Post by acerimmerrocks »

Waiting for a decent modern Jabba for yonks so i will be defiantly getting this maybe might need some help importing who knows. cant wait to get it.
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

If I end up getting someone from overseas to pick it up for me Keith (and anyone else who is keen), maybe I can ask him to pick up multiples and we can split the shipping costs? I guess it depends on whether we'll be seeing him released here and for how much.
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

I just spoke to NZ's Hasbro office and they were excited to confirm that Jabba will be appearing on shelves here very soon! He'll be in Farmers branches by August and will also be at selected Toyworld stores. No word yet on pricing, but given what's in that box, I can't imagine it will be cheap.
Last edited by Reverend Strone on Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Good news. :)

The pics of the box contents look quite good.