New Zealand Womans' Weekly Comic Strips (1979-1984)

Star Wars comics, novels and non-fiction books.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Zealand Womans' Weekly Comic Strips (1979-1984)

Post by MattG »

I'm just in the process of giving the SWNZ article on the '79-'84 NZ Womans' Weekly Star Wars comic strips a bit of an update, and was wondering how many members here were around when these came out? Did anybody collect them, or even still have some?
WW_01m.jpg
WW_02m.jpg
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: New Zealand Womans' Weekly Comic Strips (1979-1984)

Post by Buzz Bumble »

Yep, I've got the set (I think it's complete). :)

I know someone else who also has a set, but they aren't a member here - they're one of those silly Lord of the Rings fans instead. ;)
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Nice; cool to know that there are other fans of this strip that have an intact collection.

Here's something I found a little while back - a blog posting all of the original US versions of these strips on a daily basis: http://dailysw.blogspot.com/

The format is a little hard to read them efficiently in order...start here, and use the 'newer post' links to page: http://dailysw.blogspot.com/2009/03/con ... ed_15.html
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

Thanks. I'll have to take a look at that website ... although I'll have to wait until I eventually get broadband before I can read / download them all. :)

I vaguely recall reading a while back that you can buy the comic strips reprinted as a book, but I have no idea where I read it or who published the book. (Marvel would be the most likely since they published the comic book versions of the movie novels back then.)
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Buzz Bumble wrote:Thanks. I'll have to take a look at that website ... although I'll have to wait until I eventually get broadband before I can read / download them all. :)

I vaguely recall reading a while back that you can buy the comic strips reprinted as a book, but I have no idea where I read it or who published the book. (Marvel would be the most likely since they published the comic book versions of the movie novels back then.)
Dark Horse printed some of the very early ones, but only the black & white dailies, not the full-page colour strips that appeared in the weekends and NZWW.
Darth
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Darth »

I used to have all these as well, but I gave them to a younger relative and havnt seen them since. Oh well...
But Darkhorse did put out 3 volumes of all the Archie Goodwin/Al Williamson strips as The "Classic" series, which were done in colour, starting with The Bounty Hunter of Ord Mantell and Traitors Gambit. I have never seen these ones in any other Print though.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Darth wrote:...Darkhorse did put out 3 volumes of all the Archie Goodwin/Al Williamson strips as The "Classic" series, which were done in colour, starting with The Bounty Hunter of Ord Mantell and Traitors Gambit. I have never seen these ones in any other Print though.
Ah yes, I remember those now :blush: (I do have them, in fact, amongst a thousand other comics). They actually had some new panels and reformatting of existing ones, IIRC. The Goodwin/Williamson stuff is brilliant, and even though the canon Universe has evolved, I think they really stand the test of time.
Attachments
Dark Horse: Classic Star Wars
Dark Horse: Classic Star Wars
Darth
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Darth »

Yes, I read somewhere it`s all considered irrelevant now.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Zealand Woman's Weekly Comic Strips (1979-1984)

Post by MattG »

Recently, I've been doing a lot of cross-referencing to validate the NZ publication dates etc for these Woman's Weekly comics.

I really wanted to preserve my collection of these - if anyone is interested in reading the full first story, I've put a archive of scans up here: http://swnz.dr-maul.com/moretext.php?folder=NZWW
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

hey man nice collection! Seen this?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/books/comic-bo ... 845374.htm