Kinect Star Wars

Star Wars games discussion: console, PC, retro-video, board, trading card, miniatures and roleplaying.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Kinect Star Wars

Post by Buzz Bumble »

The TimeOut section of yesterday's NZ Herald (5 April, 2012) reviewed the Kinect Star Wars game ...
The Force is strong with this one

Ten years ago, a Canadian schoolboy picked up a stick and swung it around like a lightsaber. Fair enough. Who hasn't done that?

Granted, you may have not filmed yourself, carelessly left the tape lying around at school, unexpectedly become a YouTube megastar, and gone to court because of the "harassment and derision" that allegedly resulted, but the Force has excited the imaginations of millions of people just like the "Star Wars Kid."

Now the camera is on us.

Kinect Star Wars is about as close as anyone's going to get to being a Jedi for some time yet - and thank heavens for that small mercy. It turns out that the life of an elite warrior in that long ago, far away galaxy was a physically taxing experience.

Entirely motion-controlled with Kinect, the chopping, leaping, swinging, and pushing experience might be a bit much for anyone who believed becoming a Jedi was as simple as writing it down on a census form and sitting down for an episode IV-VI (okay, maybe III-VI) movie marathon. But there's so much fun to be had in performing the lightsaber and Force actions of the story and duel modes that you'll be feeling fitter and fighting with better technique before you know it.

The duelling is simple enough, almost turn-based if you imagine it to be so, and you don't need Ray Park's athleticism to get the job done.

I filmed myself performing the moves (the footage is due to appear on YouTube: never) and I was not surprised to see myself looking like the Star Wars Kid, complete with menacing scowl, as another enemy lost its head to my blade. One thing I'm sure we both felt was the power in our hands.

The pod-racing segment does its very best to replicate the cool part from the otherwise lacklustre Episode I.

Likely to be favoured by younger players, and treated with caution by players with dodgy backs, pod-racing is an intergalactic Ben-Hur experience which encourages dirty tricks and speeds bordering on the reckless.

The Kinect controls are superb in their responsiveness, and mastery of the alien racers is assured to players who can handle the exertion.

It can be played sitting down, but a vertical player will enjoy better control in the turns.

Rancor Rampage, where you smash your way through cities, levelling buildings and devouring screaming bystanders, is actually less fun than the other options.

The controls lack the necessary precision and there's no real sense of size and power to justify the tantrum you'll appear to be having in your living room.

The surprise hit of the package is the Galactic Dance Off, an addictive dance battle simulator, with real pop hits reimagined for Lucasfilm fans ("I ain't no hologram, girrrrrl"). Impress Jabba the Hutt with your moves and you'll get to twirl with Princess Leia in her palace outfit. Not a bad reward, really.

Kinect Star Wars is an engaging journey through George Lucas' rich, vibrant universe, which is neatly detailed here with top-notch graphics and stunning audio, and it goes a long way towards confirming that the Canadian boy had it right in the first place. Swinging lightsabers is as fun and empowering as we'd imagined it to be.

We can all be "Star Wars kids" now, and proudly so.

Platform: Xbox 360 Kinect
Rating: PG
Stars: 4 / 5
TeKaha
Cadet
Cadet

Re: Kinect Star Wars

Post by TeKaha »

:D I cant wait to play this new game, hope I can win it
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

NZGamer.com has posted a review of Kinect Star Wars and gave it an overal score of 6.7 out of 10 ("Average").
Gameplay = 7.0
Graphics = 8.0
Sound = 7.0
Value = 6.0
Overall = 6.7 "Average"

Rating: PG
Difficulty: Easy
Learning Curve: 5 Min

"Makes even the Star Wars Kid look coordinated"
fredstar
Colonel
Colonel

Post by fredstar »

What's happened to Lucarts?? :mad:

They used to have some awesome games back in the day. (Xwing Alliance, Rebel Assault, Jedi Academy)

Now all we're left with is this piece of crap game that is simply cashing on the Kinect wave.

They cancelled Battfront III for this?

And lastly,W T F, Han and Vader are dancing.... :ohwell:
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

I don't know that Rebel Assault counts as "awesome". It is {BEEP}ingly impossible to play - I can't even complete the T-16 level! (Mind you, I can't complete the "training" level on X-wing either and I'm stuck on Dark Forces because I get extremely ill after only playing it for about five minutes.)

I tend to see Kinect Star Wars as a "kiddy game", but even then some of it does seem rather silly. Lucas Learning used to make some good "kiddy games" (Pit Droids, Droidworks, (Super) Bombad Racing), but then they stopped making them to concentrate on actual learning titles, and completely disappeared. :(
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

The Game Console section of TechDay.co.nz has posted a review of Kinect Star Wars ...
In the end, most of the content here (with the exception of Leia shaking her stuff) is aimed squarely at the children’s market – and they will probably love most of what is on offer. For those older fans, sorry – if you value your memories of Star Wars, you might want to skip this one.

Graphics: 7
Gameplay: 6
Sound: 9
Lasting appeal: 7
Overall: 7.5
Read the long-ish review at TechDay.co.nz.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

The latest TV Guide has a short review of Star Wars Kinect ...
Star Wars Kinect
Lucas Arts, Xbox 360, Rated G

If you have always wanted to be a powerful Jedi, wielding a lightsaber and taking it to the Empire, then Star Wars Kinect offers the ability to do just that - although adults trying this game might want to throw themselves down the shaft of the Death Star. Yes, it might be a game aimed at a younger audience, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be a good game. The campaign mode feels as if it was assembled like the playlist on an iPod and featuring the Greatest Hits from the Saga. There are multiple synching issues and times where the graphics seem to become unglued. The best fun is the podracing option with either single race modes or more in-depth story mode. The epic lightsaber duels that we all envision have been replaced with slow, buggy movement and, at times, the game will fail to pick up your movements. May the Force be with you ... you will need it if you are playing this game.

2 stars (out of 5)
Ouch! :)