The Old Republic :D

Star Wars games discussion: console, PC, retro-video, board, trading card, miniatures and roleplaying.
Fairtex
Ensign
Ensign

Re: The Old Republic :D

Post by Fairtex »

MattG wrote:
mdb wrote:I've finally started being able to craft augments and augment slots so I'm still running around on Makeb and lower level planets before committing to a guild (I have been invited a few times in game and I don't know if it was anyone was local!)....
We're currently with "The Older Gamers" (aka "The Obsidian Guard" on the Imperial side). Their membership criteria keep a lot of the riff-raff out ;) Lots of NZ and Aus players.

http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/harbinger-na/

As well as regular progression raid groups, they have a lot of more casual, ad-hoc runs that are good for gearing.
This sounds like another level or serious gaming. How do I join? I'm loving this game so far. Highly addictive. Just hit level 20. Got the hang of it now.

I've played A LOT of games over the last 3 decades and this rates one of the best I've ever played. I lost interest in Star Wars for a couple of years but it took the last few episodes of Season 5 with Ahsoka leaving to spark a revived interest in this hobby. Now the whole family is playing SWTOR :) Subscribed!
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Fairtex wrote:...
This sounds like another level or serious gaming. How do I join? I'm loving this game so far. Highly addictive. Just hit level 20. Got the hang of it now. ...
All the details are here (it's a little bit of a process)...you'll need to register first: http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/har ... -here.html

Minimum age is 25y (IIRC). If you've "played A LOT of games over the last 3 decades", I'm guessing you'll qualify ;)

Joining a guild gives you a boost to the rate you accrue experience, and reputation with the various in-game organisations, plus guild chat is another channel for questions, joining ad hoc groups etc.

Do you still just have the one character?
Fairtex
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Fairtex »

Yeah just 1 character at this stage. Was thinking of starting a trooper soon. How many characters do you have and play with? Do you rotate playing time for each? Which one is your best character to play with? Which one has the best story?
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

I've got about 11 characters, and have finished the story (just playing end-game content now) on about half a dozen of them.

My two main (highest geared characters) are mirror classes on the Imp and Republic sides...a Bounty Hunter Mercenary and Trooper Commando. They use the equivalent skill trees, and I have their quick bars set up identically in terms of abilities, so I can switch between them without thinking. My next two highest are opposing mirror classes too, for that matter (a Jedi Knight DPS Guardian and Sith Warrior DPS Juggernaut), although my Jedi is a little less well geared as he mostly just works as my Legacy team's biochem crafter, making prototype stims and medpacks that get shared around all my level 55 characters.

I don't think that anyone really thinks any of the class stories are duds. I quite enjoyed the Bounty Hunter story (particularly the first half), and most people rave about the Agent story. There's a good basic plot for the Trooper.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

PS: all my level 55s are in the (Imp and Rep sides of the) same guild. My Bounty Hunter is in a progression operation/raid group (ie, we systematically work towards gearing for, and trying to complete, harder content) while my Trooper just picks up casual operations with the guild to get new gear.
Anaria
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Anaria »

I have 18 characters at the moment, one each for the advanced classes, with 2 double ups (leaving my last 4 slots free for any new species they may add). Weirdly I've only leveled 5 to level 55, as there is so much to keep you busy. Currently leveling 3 toons, to complete all the stories. Then I'll start over and play the stories all through again with my different advanced classes. It's really interesting trying the different stories and attack styles out, you never know which ones you'll enjoy more - so much variety to try :) I should take starting screenshots of them all, I love all my toons - it's hard to choose which one to play when I log in :)
Rebel Legion - former LAC
Costume website FB page SWNZ FB

Fairtex
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Fairtex »

Wow you guys are really into this. To experience all the available different stories, which characters/classes do you recommend I play with?

I'm currently playing Jedi Sentinal Republic.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Fairtex wrote:Wow you guys are really into this. To experience all the available different stories, which characters/classes do you recommend I play with?

I'm currently playing Jedi Sentinal Republic.
Well, useful advice to experience variety would be to at least switch to a class that has a different starting planet (ie, Sith Warrior or Inquisitor on Korriban, Agent or Bounty Hunter on Hutta, Trooper or Smuggler on Ord Mantell). Also, for variety, you might like to try a class with a blaster and that fights from a range. Trooper and Smuggler stories have quite good opening acts. There are good reasons for most classes...might as well roll a dice ;)

Ultimately, to get all the stories, you will need to play all 8 classes ;)
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

PS: you can arguably lose track of individual plots if you play too many classes at once, but you can "park" a character nicely in between the story "chapters" (each story has a "prologue" and three chapters).
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Here are my current 11 characters :)
Attachments
SWTORJan14 characters M.jpg
SWTORJan14 characters M.jpg (310.31 KiB) Viewed 15474 times