STAR WARS COMING TO BLU-RAY

General Star Wars discussion, including the latest movie and television series news.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: STAR WARS COMING TO BLU-RAY

Post by Buzz Bumble »

I did see a news item somewhere recently about interest in 3D movies already falling off. For 3D to really work you need a LARGE screen, so won't work too well on smaller home TVs. Last weekend Harvey Norman was advertising the latest laptops with 3D screens for gaming.

I haven't seen Avatar or any of the other new 3D movies. Even ignoring the fact that I very rarely go to the cinema, I do wear glasses which evidently makes some of the 3D equipment impossible to wear, plus I get motion sick very easily even with 3D games on the computer. :(

Years ago I did see the IMAX movie that included the Star Wars opening clip of the Blockade Runner and Star Destroyer coming in from overhead, and on that huge screen it was amazing ... but I'm still not sure that 3D-erised versions of Star Wars would be that good (despite George Lucas' enthusiasm) since it wasn't filmed to be viewed that way.
Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Harvey Mushman »

:)
Last edited by Harvey Mushman on Wed May 25, 2022 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Harvey Mushman »

Buzz Bumble wrote:IYears ago I did see the IMAX movie that included the Star Wars opening clip of the Blockade Runner and Star Destroyer coming in from overhead, and on that huge screen it was amazing ... but I'm still not sure that 3D-erised versions of Star Wars would be that good (despite George Lucas' enthusiasm) since it wasn't filmed to be viewed that way.
You're not thinking of Ben Burtt's Special Effects: Anything Can Happen, are you?
Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Harvey Mushman »

Last edited by Harvey Mushman on Wed May 25, 2022 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Harvey Mushman »

Last edited by Harvey Mushman on Wed May 25, 2022 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Harvey Mushman »

Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

Harvey Mushman wrote:
Buzz Bumble wrote:IYears ago I did see the IMAX movie that included the Star Wars opening clip of the Blockade Runner and Star Destroyer coming in from overhead
You're not thinking of Ben Burtt's Special Effects: Anything Can Happen, are you?
I can't remember what it was called (if anything), but it was basically a clip show showing off the "IMAX experience" in the IMAX cinema. It also had the CGI episode of The Simpsons in it (where Homer and Bart go to 3D World and Homer eventually drops into the real world).
Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Harvey Mushman »

I always wanted to see that in IMAX.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

The latest news being reported is that the Blu-Ray release of the moveis will be the Special Edition+ versions only, not the original cinema release of the Original Trilogy. That was pretty obvious, although they could probably fit a standard version of the original release on the same disc.

I wonder if the Blu-Ray release will contain the HD version plus a standard DVD? Or perhaps it will include the digital version for use on iPods, etc. like some recent Blu-ray and DVD releases have done.