Your favourite era of the Wars?

General Star Wars discussion, including the latest movie and television series news.
Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

Your favourite era of the Wars?

Post by Harvey Mushman »

For some, there might not be different eras, just a lifetime of fandom. But each era is quite different, in so many ways.

Was it from '77 to '83?

Or 'til '85?

Those "Dark Times" that came after '85?

That resurgence of the Force in the mid-Nineties?

The release of the Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition?

Maybe the "spoilers wars" of the prequel era?

The Clone Wars?

When Disney bought Lucasfilm?

The release of the sequel trilogy?

...Baby Yoda?
AaroKin
Captain
Captain

Re: Your favourite era of the Wars?

Post by AaroKin »

For me it has to be 1983-85.

1983 was the first year I saw a proper Star Wars movie in the cinema (ROTJ) and I followed it up in '84 by watching 'An Ewok Adventure: Caravan of Courage' on the big screen as well. My memory is a bit hazy on where I saw a 'Ewoks: Battle for Endor' but I'm positive I saw it in '85.

Those films really kicked off my Star Wars fandom and the Ewoks are a favourite of mine to this very day.

*Side-note, did anyone else see the Holiday Special in the theatre? Im sure it must have been sometime before ROTJ and have had at least 12 people in my hometown confirm they watched it there as well so I'm not nuts hahaha*
2018 Star Wars Fan Awards
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

AaroKin wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:03 pm ...
*Side-note, did anyone else see the Holiday Special in the theatre? Im sure it must have been sometime before ROTJ and have had at least 12 people in my hometown confirm they watched it there as well so I'm not nuts hahaha*
I saw the Holiday Special on broadcast TV in NZ, in 1978, but am surprised that it showed in theatres (haven't heard that projectable versions even exist.... I would assume all available versions would be 4:3 aspect ratio).
AaroKin
Captain
Captain

Post by AaroKin »

MattG wrote:
AaroKin wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:03 pmI saw the Holiday Special on broadcast TV in NZ, in 1978, but am surprised that it showed in theatres (haven't heard that projectable versions even exist.... I would assume all available versions would be 4:3 aspect ratio).

Im starting to wonder if it was a dodgy copy that got sent round, I'm not even sure if it was the entire Holiday Special because I can only remember the Wookie scenes and not the songs or cooking part......it was 100% without a doubt at the local cinema though.

I wasnt lucky enough to see its original TV broadcast
2018 Star Wars Fan Awards
[omega]
Ensign
Ensign

Post by [omega] »

Favorite Era would be the New hope to return of the Jedi
The original trilogy and cast. :)
Usetheschwartz
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Usetheschwartz »

I was not born at the time of the original trilogy cinema releases, but got to enjoy the 3 films in those early days of VHS when you used to be able to rent them from the video store in those giant cases with the great artwork so have fond memories of that time.

It was around 96-97 that Star Wars resonated with the the most though as Lucasfilm had released the Shadows of the Empire game on Nintendo-64 which I was totally amazed by, then I was able to see each of the special editions at at the cinema with the excitement of those the additional scenes. Admittedly those additional scenes now seem unnecessary, but the hype at the time was huge.