Any interest in creating NZ-made sets of costume armour?

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: Any interest in creating NZ-made sets of costume armour?

Post by oota goota »

Scoops wrote:Lots. Wow!
I have spent this am reading this entire thread.
Would you PM all the details about cost and option please.
The past 6 months I have been trying to build from scratch a suit and so wished I could have followed this thread earlier.
I am keen on buying a suit and also continuing with my build fro fun.
I have made moulds from plaster, what did you use to seal and harden for vacuum forming, as also struggling to find info and products in NZ.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Hey Scoops wow that's a big effort this thread is long and derails regularly :)

I'll pm you with the details but that's awesome that you're making you're own suit I reckon keep going! Getting decent dimensions is the tricky bit and paying attention to curvature is the other thing.

I made my forms from a bunch of different things as I was experimenting with materials while I was fabricating the forms. I pretty much managed to get most of the forms wrong or less accurate than I wanted so there's been a lot of remaking :)

Plaster is a good material to use for vac forming, it relatively cheap and handles heat easily. The only bummer is repairing and modifying forms in plaster can be tricky. If you let the form dry out properly (like it takes 6 weeks or so) you won't need to harden it with anything. I used a lot of builders bog and automotive paints to finish up my forms but there no need to do this it's just what I'm used to.

If you go to Mitre 10 they sell fast set casting plaster I think for about 10 or 15 bucks per bag its a easy material to work with. You can add cement into the mix as well if you want it a bit harder.

Ok good luck with your build you should start a thread so we can watch your progress
Scoops
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Scoops »

Thanks for that advice.
I have replied to your PM. I might get the courage to put everything out in the open for help and advice now I know a friendly place by starting a thread.
The mitre 10 plaster sounds good. Is there a specific amount of concrete you have used to plaster powder or is it a bit of trial and error? I was thinking of giving up on the self build until I was told about this forum by a new trooper fried, thanks Armante!
So let the flame reignight and the dream reappear. Best say sorry to my wife in advance to as I will be in the garage more than usual. With my team builder Kiya 5yrs, my plaster mixer and general ???Helper??? If involved power tools, hammers and nails.
Thanks Oota.
And thank you to all on the site who have given me the confidence to carry on as it seams there is nothing but support rather than critisum.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Scoops wrote:Thanks for that advice.
I have replied to your PM. I might get the courage to put everything out in the open for help and advice now I know a friendly place by starting a thread.
The mitre 10 plaster sounds good. Is there a specific amount of concrete you have used to plaster powder or is it a bit of trial and error? I was thinking of giving up on the self build until I was told about this forum by a new trooper fried, thanks Armante!
So let the flame reignight and the dream reappear. Best say sorry to my wife in advance to as I will be in the garage more than usual. With my team builder Kiya 5yrs, my plaster mixer and general ???Helper??? If involved power tools, hammers and nails.
Thanks Oota.
And thank you to all on the site who have given me the confidence to carry on as it seams there is nothing but support rather than critisum.
Cool scoops have fun we'll help where we can! Can't remember the ration; probably 2/3 plaster 1/3 concrete something like that. It's not strictly necessary unless you are going run the forms a lot. I'm still using some straight plaster forms they hold up pretty well
Armante
Commander
Commander

Post by Armante »

Welcome aboard Scoops!

You won't find a friendlier bunch of Star Wars fans. Good luck with the build too. Massive undertaking!

I have blasters and eventually armour to make, so I'd never have time for this.

Oota, apologies for sending you another one for the list ;)
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

Scoops wrote:I might get the courage to put everything out in the open for help and advice now I know a friendly place by starting a thread.
Definitely scoops! Build threads are always incredibly popular around here. There's nothing like watching a project slowly come together. It's also a great way for us less-talented individuals to learn some new tricks :p
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

okay so Armageddon is coming up quickly I've got suits and parts to make for people, I've got to get some traction on my dark trooper and E-11 builds......I know! Lets muck about with some plastic!

I have no idea why I am doing this or what it's even for but I recently finished a small job for a local engineering firm and had some spare plastic and.........

At least with this helmet you'll be able to see where your going :P
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Oh man, slap that together with a dome and back-piece, and get some photos wearing it!
cadium
Ensign
Ensign

Post by cadium »

Clear stormy armour! what a great idea! it can be painted on the inside with just about any paint using a paintbrush and achieve a nice smooth glossy finish on the outside!

I fancy a lovely crimson storm trooper.

As an aside (and not to derail) I've just ordered a cheap mannequin so I can display/ complete my storm trooper.
The T-H-X account is six percent over budget. The case is to be terminated.
SlyClone
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SlyClone »

You could turn it into a lamp?
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

MattG wrote:Oh man, slap that together with a dome and back-piece, and get some photos wearing it!
:lol: yeah ha ha that's a great idea! I'll pull a bucket soon and pray it comes off the form. Have to find a volunteer to wear it's not going to be me :)