Any interest in creating NZ-made sets of costume armour?

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Any interest in creating NZ-made sets of costume armour?

Post by oota goota »

Hi all after making a set of 'stunt' armour with my mate to thrash around for paintball in

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php? ... 2673&so=15

I am now starting on building some forms for a vac-former set out of ABS.

It got me thinking about whether there was an NZ 501st armour available to people who want to get a set. It seems to me everyone has to buy form overseas if they want ANY kind of SW armour.

So why don't we produce our own?

The copyright thing seems fairly loose on armour. I don't know how those FX guys sell so many sets (but i bet someone on this forum does!)

The thing that draws me to this idea is that anyone in NZ who was looking to buy a set of armour could buy it locally and in order to stay at a not-for-profit/ hobbyist level I think it would be really cool to make a donation to a charity/ worthy cause like starship everytime a set is sold.

Thoughts anyone? I'm just day dreaming at the moment but I would be keen to get involved in something like that

Cheers
Jon
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Any interest in creating NZ-made sets of costume armour?

Post by MattG »

oota goota wrote:...
The copyright thing seems fairly loose on armour. I don't know how those FX guys sell so many sets (but i bet someone on this forum does!)...
Lucasfilm tolerates fan costumes, and even fan costumer makers (to a point), for a number of reasons...as long as they're respectful of the relationship. They have gone after armour makers who have 1) advertised widely, 2) are clearly making/seeking profit and/or 3) have made claims of ownership of LFL IP.

They seem to understand the benefits of fans having costumes, and have made use of fan costumes/costumers/droid builders etc on many occasions (the cynics/realists might say because it's often cheaper than official/licensed talent). The fact that they have a fan relations team, that includes genuine fans, speaks to their understanding of the fan/hobbyist community.

FX armor has, at various times, operated in quite an underground manner, to stay off the LFL radar, and has "changed hands" more recently. There are also plenty of FX knock-offs (usually via eBay) that are best avoided, as well as many alternatives (with screen-used pedigrees, or quality new sculpts) that have increased the pool of options.

Having said all that, I generally think there is room for locally available armour - especially if it is available on a component-by-component basis for upgrades/replacements etc.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

PS: I found this pic the other day...

oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Ha ha yeah that's me on the left! It was alot of fun I got absolutely hammered

The component thing is great idea.

I can get access to a large vac former (can do roughly 1m x 2m sheets of ABS) we would have to pay for the privilege but I'm sure I could get a reasonable rate. So producing parts/ whole suits on demand and quickly would not be a problem.

Matt what are your thoughts about a charitable donation as part of the price of a component etc?

Call me if you want to talk more about this

Cheers
Jon
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

oota goota wrote:...
I can get access to a large vac former (can do roughly 1m x 2m sheets of ABS)...
Drool...

Have a few ideas that might be relevant. Will drop you a message shortly.
Bazzack
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Bazzack »

oota goota wrote:
I can get access to a large vac former (can do roughly 1m x 2m sheets of ABS) we would have to pay for the privilege but I'm sure I could get a reasonable rate. So producing parts/ whole suits on demand and quickly would not be a problem.

Cheers
Jon
Wowzers! could you vac form something the size of an R2 dome in that? :woot:
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

oota goota wrote:...anyone in NZ who was looking to buy a set of armour could buy it locally and in order to stay at a not-for-profit/ hobbyist level I think it would be really cool to make a donation to a charity/ worthy cause like starship everytime a set is sold... I'm just day dreaming at the moment but I would be keen to get involved in something like that.
A brilliant idea. I've been after some stormy armour for a long time now, but it's simply been too expensive and impractical to have it shipped from overseas.

Incidentally, are there any members of Outpost 42 (the New Zealand 501st) on these forums?
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Archon Revuge wrote:...Incidentally, are there any members of Outpost 42 (the New Zealand 501st) on these forums?
...at least 3 current members (from memory), and a similar number of retired members.
mdb
Captain
Captain

Post by mdb »

Hi Jon :) We met outside Auckland Armageddon in 08 when you had started this project :) I was hoping to see you around online again :) I would have been wearing long blonde dreads at the time ;) I wanted to ask more about the process you went through to make your stunt kit ;)

I too shall take a moment to ponder and drool over such a large vac form .... sigh.
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

To those of you lucky enough to already have your own suit of stormy armour:

Do you scratch-build your helmets too? Or do you find it easier to purchase this part commercially (such as eFX's 'stunt' helmet) and vacuform the rest?