New project - Monkey lizard!

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New project - Monkey lizard!

Post by MattG »

oota goota wrote:...I smashed out a Star warsy base for it at work today so I might have to sort out a decent photo shoot of the beast with you sometime to get some good pics...
Pics are looking great already, but yeah, I'm totally enthusiastic to help out with photoshooting...have been away at Hamilton Armageddon all this past weekend, but the next few are free - drop me a message when you've got some weekend space in your calendar.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

MattG wrote:
oota goota wrote:...I smashed out a Star warsy base for it at work today so I might have to sort out a decent photo shoot of the beast with you sometime to get some good pics...
Pics are looking great already, but yeah, I'm totally enthusiastic to help out with photoshooting...have been away at Hamilton Armageddon all this past weekend, but the next few are free - drop me a message when you've got some weekend space in your calendar.

Cool man I'm on my last week or so of work, be in touch soon!

Here's some more pics of the complete lizard with base in the mean time :)
Attachments
IMG_1100 (800x765).jpg
IMG_1103 (789x800).jpg
IMG_1104 (613x800).jpg
IMG_1102 (800x758).jpg
badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

Hey Oota,
That looks GREAT.
Nice work.
Doomsday and Armageddon got together and had a baby and man is it ugly.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

thanks Badges I had heaps of fun making it and it's been great to get it finished without it dragging on too much. It worked out to be roughly about 6 months worth of lunch breaks :blink:.

Anyway I've got a wee bit of vac forming ahead of me but after that I've got another 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 wee projects I'd like to do. But who hasn't right? The next couple of builds for me will be Clone Wars stuff again it's a great series and there's ALOT of good stuff in there I'd love to make. I've had to try and reign myself in a bit on some ideas (like a full scale AT RT) as each project seems to generate a lot of molds and forms that need storage :blink: :blink: :blink:
badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

I know where you are coming from with that, I have a shed built for me by my wife and now it is just jam packed full of stuff.
I need to organise it so I can finally get to making my vac former and start making some mini helmets.
Casting for me is quite a mission and not turning out the finish that I would like.
Maybe its the material i'm using?
Who knows???? :D
Doomsday and Armageddon got together and had a baby and man is it ugly.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

what sort of end result are you getting? PM if you like I may be able to help
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

That's a smooth lookin' paint job!
mdb
Captain
Captain

Post by mdb »

AIEEE!!! Love love love him!
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

thanks you fullas. I've finish casting up more today before I boxed up my molds. All in I think there were about 17 molds for this guy and probably close to 20kg of silicone :blink: At least he doesn't take too much resin to cast up....
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Here's a pic of all the molds for this little guy. They are basically all fairly simple 2 part molds with a pour hole at the highest point of the mold and a series of bleeders for air to escape when pouring resin. Over the last couple of years or so I have gotten into the habit of using a small diameter brass tube to drill out vent holes in the mold. It saves a bit of time trying to set premade bleeders when molding and allows me to add more if a mold isn't venting right
Attachments
IMG_1109 (800x784).jpg