SWNZ Forums

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
 #24343  by TIE1138
 Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:23 am
Hi all. It's been a while and started this build 3rd Sept after a visit to Ootas place. Managed to get some seconds in the way of most components for this build and together with a pvc tube that already had the holes drilled in it, I decided to get on with it.
Motivation is the name of the game, and when I saw what Oota was doing, it spured me on.
So, the first thing to do was to mark out the position of the grip and tidy this up with a lot of sanding to even up the front and rear faces as these were out of alinment during the fabrication stage. after tidying this area, I stuck some sandpaper to the outer barrel tube and began to sand and shape the top face that will be secured to the tube. I drilled a large hole through the top of the tube so that I could screw the grip to the tube when ready. I then worked on the magazine housing and did similar work to this as the grip.
Attachments
20170903_154918.jpg
20170903_154918.jpg (632.93 KiB) Viewed 8507 times
20170903_154750.jpg
20170903_154750.jpg (620.37 KiB) Viewed 8507 times
20170903_154800.jpg
20170903_154800.jpg (546.47 KiB) Viewed 8507 times
20170903_154820.jpg
20170903_154820.jpg (524.25 KiB) Viewed 8507 times
 #24345  by oota goota
 Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:41 pm
what blax said looks great Nick. I'll try and sort those other bits out for you soon I'm going to do another casting session
 #24349  by TIE1138
 Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:43 am
Thanks guys. Yes I am very happy with what I have done to date, bearing in mind that this blaster will have light differences to others out there, but then that's me.
next came the Bolt. Oota gave me a cast one from a real Sterling but I thought that it would be a shame to cover up all that detail, so I made one from wood and put detail where it would be seen. I then added a pvc tube to the end for the spring to go inside and applied a couple of strips of foil tape over the seen areas and I thought it turned out quite well.
Attachments
20170923_104008.jpg
After blowing some primer on it
20170923_104008.jpg (659.65 KiB) Viewed 8481 times
20170917_160044.jpg
Sprayed some silver over the bolt
20170917_160044.jpg (671.09 KiB) Viewed 8482 times
20170917_155053.jpg
Filling and shaping the extractor slot
20170917_155053.jpg (592.16 KiB) Viewed 8482 times
20170917_154243.jpg
The pvc tube after gluing with urathane adhesive.
20170917_154243.jpg (546.31 KiB) Viewed 8482 times
20170917_154232.jpg
20170917_154232.jpg (677.22 KiB) Viewed 8482 times
 #24350  by TIE1138
 Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:42 am
Below is a pic of the bolt with the Foil Tape on it.
Attachments
20171012_183409.jpg
20171012_183409.jpg (679.47 KiB) Viewed 8480 times
 #24353  by oota goota
 Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:54 am
very cool idea using foil tape can't wait to see this in person one day
 #24367  by TIE1138
 Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:52 am
Thanks Oota. Well the next step was to do the T Rails and I found a length of Aluminium T track in the garage that I bought about & years ago. After measuring the lengths of each, I cut up the track and shaped the ends with a file.I then worked out which holes they would cover and marked the end ones so that I could fill these in with wooden dowel pieces to help adhere the track to the PVC tube using Araldite SS epoxy.
Attachments
20170923_203312.jpg
20170923_203312.jpg (709.29 KiB) Viewed 8433 times
20170923_213301.jpg
20170923_213301.jpg (733.17 KiB) Viewed 8433 times
20170923_200842.jpg
20170923_200842.jpg (681.21 KiB) Viewed 8433 times
20170923_195702.jpg
20170923_195702.jpg (732.96 KiB) Viewed 8433 times
20170923_193940.jpg
20170923_193940.jpg (623.87 KiB) Viewed 8433 times
 #24368  by TIE1138
 Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:54 am
I the photo below you can see the dowels glued in place using Superglue which also seals the timber.
Attachments
20170928_190411.jpg
20170928_190411.jpg (677.47 KiB) Viewed 8430 times
 #24369  by badges2nz
 Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:55 am
Nice work there Nick, I love the t tracks