Finished Wokling build

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
knock
Ensign
Ensign

Finished Wokling build

Post by knock »

Hello :)

I've decided to do a basket of woklings
I started without taking any photos but since it's the first wokling I can add extra photos later on when I do the other ones.
I've made the body just like a normal soft toy with moving joints but leaving openings to add feet and hands later.

So here's a photo of the headless, footless and handless body so far. The only part stuffed so far is the body, I will stuff limbs later. I know it looks like a normal teddy bear shape but I choose to work with human baby doll shape as it seemed to be a better fit and is more noticable without fur.
1.jpg
1.jpg (98.23 KiB) Viewed 14775 times
nt]

I've also started on sculpting the feet out of nsp clay (first timing using it). My plan is to make a mold so I don't have to remake the hands and feet again but unsure if I will do this for the face.
2.jpg
2.jpg (66.69 KiB) Viewed 14775 times
Last edited by knock on Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
knock
Ensign
Ensign

Re: WIP - Wokling build

Post by knock »

The main sculpt of the feet are done, I just need to tidy them up some more. Sorry for the bad photos, the lighting in this house at night is shockling.
3.jpg
3.jpg (59.04 KiB) Viewed 14767 times
After playing around with different containers I ended up using lego for my base mold, filling in the corners and extra space with clay.
5.jpg
5.jpg (80.72 KiB) Viewed 14767 times
knock
Ensign
Ensign

Post by knock »

I just poured one mold with pinkysil silicone for one of the feet. It's the first time using this stuff and had to quickly mix 3 lots to fill the mold. I wasn't sure how much was needed and didn't want to waste any product. Unfortunately I used more than half of the stuff so I can not do the other foot for now and will have to wait till next week as Barnes is closed over the weekend. Now to nervously wait and see..
4.jpg
4.jpg (67.74 KiB) Viewed 14762 times
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Such a cool project Erin - love it!
knock
Ensign
Ensign

Post by knock »

Thanks Matt :)
knock
Ensign
Ensign

Post by knock »

My silicone mold worked "yay" but my resin didn't. Again it's the first time using this type of product and I should have read up more about air bubbles. As you can see their are big air bubbles on the toes and little ones all over the top of the foot. Anyway I'll try again tomorrow (maybe) keeping in mind to get those ones around the toes out with my finger before filling the mold completly up with resin. I also read a heat gun helps bring air bubbles to the surface, being careful of plastic cups and/or molds.
6.jpg
6.jpg (109.67 KiB) Viewed 14742 times
Sculpted the hands today and will mold them once I get more pinkysil.
7.jpg
7.jpg (103.32 KiB) Viewed 14742 times
8.jpg
8.jpg (111.33 KiB) Viewed 14742 times
This is the head shape I will be using. Sewn together and will be filled with polyfil stuffing (normal toy stuffing). The bottom is flat as I will my connecting the head and body together with a moving joint.
9.jpg
9.jpg (114.37 KiB) Viewed 14742 times
10.jpg
10.jpg (110.24 KiB) Viewed 14742 times
knock
Ensign
Ensign

Post by knock »

Sculpted the nose, mouth and ears with sculpey.
11.jpg
11.jpg (107.02 KiB) Viewed 14731 times
12.jpg
12.jpg (63.46 KiB) Viewed 14731 times
Trimming and shaving parts of the face.
13.jpg
13.jpg (122.47 KiB) Viewed 14731 times
badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

That is looking really good, nice job.
Doomsday and Armageddon got together and had a baby and man is it ugly.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

nice one knock really cool project.

Pinkysil is a great product you'll be able to make more feet than you'll ever need. It looks like you've mixed the resin fine but I'd recommend making some tiny air holes in the 'toes' part of the mould to let the air out and the resin in. You'll need to plug them with something when you are casting and mould is full.

so I usually use a small brass tube and drill in through the silicone that works well. and then I used wood screws to block the holes usually because that's what I have handy.

hope this helps looking forward to more updates
knock
Ensign
Ensign

Post by knock »

It's been a while since I've worked on my wokling build. I ended up resculpting my hands a feet a couple of times but this time using sculpey and baking them.
Attachments
16.jpg
16.jpg (89.46 KiB) Viewed 13414 times
15.jpg
15.jpg (81.85 KiB) Viewed 13414 times