Quiet's styrene astromech build

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Quiet's styrene astromech build

Post by MattG »

Agreed. Superb job.
quiet
Ensign
Ensign

Post by quiet »

Thanks for the words of encouragement all, sometimes I feel like I get stuck in a rut but it's so much fun when I get back into it.

There's also a reason why the thread isn't "R2-D2 build" and that's because my girls chose the colour, a really dark purple which we grabbed a can of today and put the first coat on. (Panels just placed on for show)

Otherwise I've been working on a second arm and filling more on the first. Got some paint onto parts that are meant to be metal (primer then aluminium on the front lower vents and coin slots). Really want to get the dome painted silver as well, but I've only just cut free the lower ring above the bottom ring. Soon. I'm also so far keeping it all with dupli-colour. Purple is a paint/primer which seemed to go on oaky (I think I'll still want to hit it with some sandpaper before more coats) but the straight primer is really really nice.
quiet
Ensign
Ensign

Post by quiet »

Getting back into the swing. Little more paint on, trimmed the blue ring for painting, main colour on the booster covers, 8 little nubbins to shape for the ankle cylinders

Panels just placed. It won't be a pristine droid so the scratches will work to my favour later when I go in with the dirt
jonoskip
Cadet
Cadet

Post by jonoskip »

Looking really good queit!

Your dome looks to be pretty flush with the body - can you tell me what the average dome diameter is please?

I'm hanging out for a laser cut one.
quiet
Ensign
Ensign

Post by quiet »

Yeah, I really lucked out getting the body done just the right size. 18.25 inch is the diameter of the dome where it meets the body. I don't believe there's a CSR/L difference. CSR may have a spec where the body is a little bigger and the dome isn't flush if I recall.
jonoskip
Cadet
Cadet

Post by jonoskip »

Thanks quiet, appreciate it. (sorry for late response :) )
karamea
Ensign
Ensign

Post by karamea »

Wow I'm so impressed and a little bit envious :-) I was thinking of doing something like this although I haven't even got started.. Great job. Can't wait to see finished result!
Don't make me destroy you
badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

Really good work, will you be keeping it clean or are you going to weather it?
Doomsday and Armageddon got together and had a baby and man is it ugly.
quiet
Ensign
Ensign

Post by quiet »

Weather, scratch building parts and life getting in the way of progress at the moment.
karamea wrote:Wow I'm so impressed and a little bit envious :-) I was thinking of doing something like this although I haven't even got started.. Great job. Can't wait to see finished result!
Thankyou! It's got me thinking of a mouse droid too >_> After the wookie. I really need to stop thinking about doing more projects.
badges2nz wrote:Really good work, will you be keeping it clean or are you going to weather it?
Weathered as much as possible. It is a trick on the astromech forums to hide your imperfections. And there are a few.
Speaking of imperfections, I'm faffing about looking for the perfect pieces, but it's holding me back. So I'm going with "good enough placeholders" and I plan on getting a 3d printer down the track. This way, the build progresses and parts are replaceable.

On to updates!
$10USD on aliexpress and free shipping from china, I also have a knockoff uno, test servo and neopixel stick for fiddling with dome lighting and arm motion. I got some $2 "finger lights" with plastic fiber optic things which I'm assembling into an array. No pictures, but it should allow 2-3 LED's to light an entire panel temporarily.

I adjusted my radar eye to put in a lens (will tint later) and needed to repaint. Turns out limonene styrene glue still off-gasses after 48 hours... but it'll make a great blaster scar. Mouthwash bottle tops and salvaged security camera domes with greystuff putty for shrouds for holo's. Right sized pipe and styrene for the ankle cylinders, and some paint.

Placeholder radar eye with bubbling

Halfmoons on the main feet and ankle cylinder

Unpainted large data port with open arms

An older shot, but when it was last assembled with painted booster bits on the legs
quiet
Ensign
Ensign

Post by quiet »

Been really busy for a while, one of the big items was to get the bare plastic covered with paint. I managed to do this recently and then tonight went in with some grime on the body and feet. Still missing some key body parts but they'll have to wait till later this year.

Assembled with unweathered head