Quiet's styrene astromech build

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
quiet
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Quiet's styrene astromech build

Post by quiet »

Here's where I'm at. First time with wheels on and dome placed on top. You always spot the things you need to fix in a picture and I can also draw on it which is great.

MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Getting all the main components together is a great feeling and a great milestone!
Bazzack
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Bazzack »

This is awesome! Great work quiet. He's looking really good.
I haven't been spending enough time on SWNZ, and have totally missed this build in progress until now. Love it.
Will make sure that I'm notified of your posts, and don't hesitate to give me a yell if there's anything I may be able to help with. I have a fair few dome parts if it would help to have any in hand for reference.
jonoskip
Cadet
Cadet

Post by jonoskip »

Awesome work there quiet. I am planning a CSR R2 build but have yet to start. I'm waiting on the laser cut ABS dome run from the Builders Club to be available. Was planning a HIPs build but that has gotten a bit hard now with a manufacturer stopping production.

What wheels and motors are you using? Also, what control system are you planning to use? Any pics?

I have started messing with a MP3 player board and arduino and can get R2 sounds to play on button press. Also have some bluetooth boards that I have had working too. Was planning to make a controller similar to James Brutons (x-robots.co.uk if you haven't seen him before). I really like the Stealth controller but can't justify the price at the moment. Have also just found EdsJunk single handed controller which looks promising.
vctrsone
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by vctrsone »

quiet wrote:Here's where I'm at. First time with wheels on and dome placed on top. You always spot the things you need to fix in a picture and I can also draw on it which is great.

Damn that is cool! Love all the reinforcement and what not you have added in there during the build. looks like she will be a strong little clunker!
Maker of stuffs and things.
quiet
Ensign
Ensign

Post by quiet »

Thanks for the offers of help :) Plugging along slowly for the moment. Radar eye box built over the last few nights.
jonoskip wrote:What wheels and motors are you using? Also, what control system are you planning to use? Any pics?
I actually have only planned a little on this. I've gotten the jaycar motors and the dfrobot wheel setup. This meant I didn't have to change my feet too much (especially now local HIPS supply is an unknown). Stuck with a single castor in the front foot but already found that feels too... loose. It's not great power but for this I'm still learning a whole bunch of electronics.

My goal is the sabertooth2x25 with a wireless adapter running just the feet with a parts complete body. No opening panels, static dome and holos and arms etc. I'll spend a bunch of time looking into the sounds and lights a bit later, I don't want to buy a kit, this is a great chance for me to learn more about electronics/robotics, so I'll probably go arduino/raspberri pi? Programming is easy for me as it's my day job, so if i can solve up a hardware config i could run the whole shebang like a pc with sound/lights/inputs/outputs. Maybe! I have no idea at this point hehe.
vctrsone wrote:Damn that is cool! Love all the reinforcement and what not you have added in there during the build. looks like she will be a strong little clunker!
I hope so too! With wheels on I pushed it a bit and saw every single "you should use ankle locks" post come screaming back as feet angled all over the show, but a 15kilo child stands comfortably inside it without and problems.
jonoskip
Cadet
Cadet

Post by jonoskip »

Nice work on the Radar eye!

Thanks for the info on the motors etc. I thought about using a Pi but I think I'll stay with arduinos for now. Unless you're planning a real time OS on the Pi? :D
quiet
Ensign
Ensign

Post by quiet »

Getting back into the swing of things again.
Main fixes:
Center ankle to body attachment. I drilled these smaller (6mm) and didn't line things up correctly so there was play in the two bolts, even with locks on ankles, the ankle just wiggled about. I redrilled and tapped to 8mm as per the plans and screwed it all back in with some cleaning up of the surfaces where skirt/ankle join. The test was to pick up the body frame by the ankle and it held together without a problem.

Ankle locks. Feet were wiggling all over the show when wheels and castor were in. I built and attached the center ankles locks

then made locks for the mains. These haven't been trimmed yet or screwed in place.

I then put my hands on R2's shoulders and held myself off the ground, so it can take my weight at least!

Dome WIP:
I'm buoyed by shots of the ILM Uber droid where panels are cracked, misaligned, lines not straight and the posts on the astromech builders forums of "all your mistakes make this yours, no one will have yours". The panels aren't perfect and I'm now okay with that (honest, I don't grimace and make plans for a laser cut one, honest).

Puttied and cleaned up the radar eye. Affixed via screws so it's replaceable (I'm not super happy with it but it's almost done).
Made the boxes for the front logic display. These will get mounting brackets made for the inside and then painted, I'll source and build the actual display parts later.
A prototype holoprojector from two xmas ornaments. Definitely not going on but good to see what/how I'd build one and place it.

Pics.
Rear:

Front:

Prototpye HP:

Front with HP:
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

fantastic work quiet nice one!
r2d2