Project 2016: Phase 0 dark trooper

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
cadium
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Project 2016: Phase 0 dark trooper

Post by cadium »

oota goota wrote:
cadium wrote:Fantastic work as usual oota. I will love watching how this evolves. Artistic license will be to the fore here, as low polygon character models from a game are (by necessity) a compromise.
Do you see the armour as a grey colour or metallic?

As for the sticker...I couldn't agree more....I'd rather see them push a Holden than drive anything ;) :lol:

Thanks Cadium yeah there's a lot of missing curvature to added back in. Fortunately there's enough reference material around that I can justify my changes :)

Well I'm reading it as mainly a mid-grey with gun metal panels, some black bits and some light grey bits. What do you reckon? Eyes are meant to be red I believe

Looking at the battlefront models (stormtrooper/ Phase 0) it looks to me like the armour is a metallic mid to dark grey, like a mica metallic but it really is up for interpretation. Mirrored red eye lenses would be cool (and might be found on biggish sunglasses/ ski goggles).
Looking a the thigh pieces I would be tempted to leave the black areas as body suit, to ease movement.

The helmet is quite a bit broader than the stormy helmet and less tall from forehead to top too.
Nice extra room at the knees on the phase 0 but what do do with the knee pivots? fix to the shin section? use as a fixing point to the body suit to prevent twist?

Are the chest fittings restraining bolts? hmm...
The T-H-X account is six percent over budget. The case is to be terminated.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

cadium wrote: Looking at the battlefront models (stormtrooper/ Phase 0) it looks to me like the armour is a metallic mid to dark grey, like a mica metallic but it really is up for interpretation. Mirrored red eye lenses would be cool (and might be found on biggish sunglasses/ ski goggles).
Looking a the thigh pieces I would be tempted to leave the black areas as body suit, to ease movement.

The helmet is quite a bit broader than the stormy helmet and less tall from forehead to top too.
Nice extra room at the knees on the phase 0 but what do do with the knee pivots? fix to the shin section? use as a fixing point to the body suit to prevent twist?

Are the chest fittings restraining bolts? hmm...
A metallic would be a nice finish. I fancy a bit of weathering as well to make it more real world :). That's a good idea about the thighs. I've scribed some paint lines into the armour but they could just as easily be cut lines :)

Yup the helmet's about 40 to 50mm wider and about 50mm longer even before the fin at the back!

I'm really looking forward to making the faceplate. It's the 'payoff' part of the sculpt I have made myself do it last to makre sure I got all the armour bits done (like the damned legs I hate making legs apparently).

\I though they might have been grease or oil nipples. Somone on the rpf reckons hydraulic hose connections others are saying bolts who knows?
cadium
Ensign
Ensign

Post by cadium »

oota goota wrote: That's a good idea about the thighs. I've scribed some paint lines into the armour but they could just as easily be cut lines :)

I've often thought that it might be possible to make the cod and butt plate of the stormtrooper out of shaped padded vinyl for far move movement and the ability to sit. It may not be "film original" but the visible differences should be minimal.
With the phase 0 the black part of the thigh is clearly recessed so you could easily replace hard plastic with soft material (I would go for padded vinyl with horizontal ribs).

Can't wait to see this all finished. I think it will make a great edition to NZ's empire forces (and I'm amazed at how quickly you seem to get this stuff done!)
The T-H-X account is six percent over budget. The case is to be terminated.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

cadium wrote:
oota goota wrote: That's a good idea about the thighs. I've scribed some paint lines into the armour but they could just as easily be cut lines :)

I've often thought that it might be possible to make the cod and butt plate of the stormtrooper out of shaped padded vinyl for far move movement and the ability to sit. It may not be "film original" but the visible differences should be minimal.
With the phase 0 the black part of the thigh is clearly recessed so you could easily replace hard plastic with soft material (I would go for padded vinyl with horizontal ribs).

Can't wait to see this all finished. I think it will make a great edition to NZ's empire forces (and I'm amazed at how quickly you seem to get this stuff done!)
It's a cool idea no reason why you couldn't do a refit and cut some plastic away. Mind you the forms are pretty big on this suit there might be plenty of room :)
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

made a fair bit of progress with this. Just the faceplate to go and I should have a prototype done.

all my progress pics are on the rpf if you want to see more shots of bogging and sanding :)
Armante
Commander
Commander

Post by Armante »

oota goota wrote:made a fair bit of progress with this. Just the faceplate to go and I should have a prototype done.

all my progress pics are on the rpf if you want to see more shots of bogging and sanding :)
Out.frikken.standing.

That's going to look bad ass :) can you please share a link to the rpf thread?
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Thanks man! I'm kind of desparate to get this done to at least prototype stage so I can get on with the e11 :blink:

Here's the thread:
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=263170

it's my usual build thread, lots of grey/ light yellow lumps followed by white and sometimes black plastic lumps :)
Kiwi sapper
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Kiwi sapper »

you really have too much time on your hands in sunny New Plymouth :lol:
Join the Empire they said, See the Galaxy they said, yet here we are stuck on Tatooine
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Kiwi sapper wrote:you really have too much time on your hands in sunny New Plymouth :lol:
ha ha the joys of working part time coupled with low level OCD or something :p
Armante
Commander
Commander

Post by Armante »

oota goota wrote:it's my usual build thread, lots of grey/ light yellow lumps followed by white and sometimes black plastic lumps :)
hahaha excellent