Noob Prep #101

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
Skicom
Ensign
Ensign

Noob Prep #101

Post by Skicom »

OK so have been reading forums and started collating my own suit building tools and supplies in preparation for my very first TK build.

Apart from the actual rivets (which I need to look at to get the right size/type/colour), I think I pretty much have everything.

I have a hot glue gun just not pictured.

Comments? Additions? More than welcome.....I bow to your wisdom.

I have a week before my padowan trial begins of my first suit (already thinking of the next one).

Ski Out!!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 6491 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 6491 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 6491 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 6491 times
'Ability is nothing without opportunity'

Napoleon Bonaparte
Eng76
Commander
Commander

Re: Noob Prep #101

Post by Eng76 »

It looks like you are a lot more prepared than I was. Nice one!

I don't see any safety gear there, glasses / goggles, dust mask, ear protectors. These are pretty important.

Maybe a craft knife, a nice heavy duty one & a metal ruler. A lot of the cuts will be straight lines, and knife / ruler gave me much cleaner results than a dremel.

You'll probably need more snaps / press fasteners. You will also grow to hate them.

Be careful with the gluing, the araldite you have there is fantastically sticky, but unforgiving for any little oops' moments.

Maybe a first aid kit nearby. Though that may just be me...

Lots of prep = awesomeness!

Good luck with the build
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Nice looking kit you've got started.
Eng76 wrote:...I don't see any safety gear there, glasses / goggles, dust mask, ear protectors. These are pretty important....
Critically important. Dremel cutting disks will frequently fracture (the standard ones at least) and are a genuine risk to eyeballs.
Skicom
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Skicom »

Cool.

I have safety glasses and surgical/dust masks if the need requires it, I am also a Registered Nurse and unsurprisingly have a fantastic first aid kit.

I have several knives and a couple of metal rulers so looks like I'm good.

I will acquire more press studs tomorrow, anyone care to share why these are a tale of woe?

More comments very very welcome troops.......

Ski Out!!

Napoleon Bonaparte
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

wow what Eng and Matt said you are seriously organised!

masking tape is handy for test fitting and getting straight lines on curved objects :)
Blaxmyth
Commander
Commander

Post by Blaxmyth »

Eng76 wrote:You'll probably need more snaps / press fasteners. You will also grow to hate them.
Yeah, a couple of troops ago, the stud fastener holding my left thigh plates gave way, which meant the thigh dropped down and locked my knee joint. Fortunately my wife - aka prized costume wrangler! - was able to quickly cable tie it back in place. Turned out the snap had simply failed and come apart, although it looked and felt OK before that. Since then we have melted a couple of holes on either side of the thigh snaps and secured them with a backup cable tie.

Oh, and congratulations on the well stocked tool kit! Looks great.
Armante
Commander
Commander

Post by Armante »

I'm yet to build my own, but I've heard very many people (incl on FISD (First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment) aka the 501st) at whitearmor.net recommend E6000 glue. You can buy it at art supply stores like http://www.tasart.co.nz
It does have a longer cure time (24 hours) but it can be removed if you make a mistake, or need to make adjustment for fitting, even long after the build - it's flexible too.
You will need good ventilation, but that's a given with any adhesive.

Scoring and snapping is a great way to go for trimming once you get the hang of it - the dremel can cause problems unless handled properly. If you do use it, I recommend a flexi-shaft attachment.

Those scissors, are they lexan scissors? I've read some people swear by them for trimming, particularly the curved kind for cutting corners, like the inside of arm and bicep pieces.

EDIT: Also lots of people are using rare-earth magnets now to hold things in place during glue cure times. Clamps can't reach all the way across thighs etc.

Like I said, I'm yet to get my kit and build it, but FISD at is your go-to source for any questions you may have. They have plenty of build threads too, for all levels of build from simple acceptance to screen-accuracy if you are so inclined.
Here is a general recommendation from their page: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/3 ... r-tk-build

Hope it helps - enjoy building it :)
cadium
Ensign
Ensign

Post by cadium »

I would suggest some rare earth magnets 12mm round and about 3mm thick.
These are fantastic to use as clamps on the strips for the legs and arms when the spring clamps just won't fit.
They can also be useful to temporarily fix strapping on to armour to work out correct positioning.
The T-H-X account is six percent over budget. The case is to be terminated.
Skicom
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Skicom »

Good suggestion. Where do I get those from?

Ski Out!!

Napoleon Bonaparte
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

With the magnets, there might be no need for this - but I found it really useful to have a couple of paint stirrers handy to help hold together those parts where clamps won't reach. You can usually pick up promotional (i.e., branded) ones for free at most hardware stores.
Attachments
Right Bicep 2.JPG
Right Bicep 2.JPG (4.73 MiB) Viewed 6438 times