Josh's OGA DLT19 build PIC HEAVY!

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: Josh's OGA DLT19 build PIC HEAVY!

Post by oota goota »

joshsurf wrote:
oota goota wrote:very nice man! Looks great I think the barrel looks fine, you've got the right pattern job done!

You've done a really nice job with it looks totally bad ass! Probably don't carry around unless you're in your armour though :p
cheers bro! stilll got the stock to paint as im going to do it like the original bakelite.
i wont be carrying it around anywhere at the moment as LFL/Disney has said no blasters at any event till further notice!! :cry:
That's cool the original stock is a reproduction Bakelite one; it's almost got a touch of brown in it and low sheen.

Yeah that's unbelieveable timing I don't think it will last though.
joshsurf
Ensign
Ensign

Post by joshsurf »

So Jon you made any t tracks yet???
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

joshsurf wrote:So Jon you made any t tracks yet???
just making my master now, then a transition mold, then a 2 part mold then I'll be casting them up. How did the styrene t tracks go?
joshsurf
Ensign
Ensign

Post by joshsurf »

they are ok but I've come to realise a design flaw in my screw in barrel.....i have to give it a good twist at the end to get it to seat in with the receiver. and my t tracks are not what id call fragile but definitely wouldn't stand up to being grabbed and twisted.... i got rubber t tracks for my E-11 and they can take a good punishment. i'm looking into other options(plastic rake tines, still got to get to para) something a wee bit more durable...
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

i guess over time it will shift further round and no long be in line? Is that what you mean?

The only luck I've had with t tracks is some from overseas but they would be like $100 a set for a dlt. Makes the weapon too expensive I think. Let me know how you get on!
Armante
Commander
Commander

Post by Armante »

oota goota wrote:i guess over time it will shift further round and no long be in line? Is that what you mean?
I'm thinking he means as he grabs the barrel to screw it in place every time, the torque on the t-tracks might break them off?
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Armante wrote:
oota goota wrote:i guess over time it will shift further round and no long be in line? Is that what you mean?
I'm thinking he means as he grabs the barrel to screw it in place every time, the torque on the t-tracks might break them off?
that makes more sense :)
joshsurf
Ensign
Ensign

Post by joshsurf »

Armante wrote:
yup got it in one! i may have to build a special tool to go thru the holes and use that to twist with so im not actually touching the barrel.
i got some more painting/weathering done this weekend. got the look of the bakelite down perfectly(even my dad whose an antiques guru, and has a lot of experience in the stuff, said it looked the deal!) unfortunately in my haste and impatience, i sealed it before it had enough time to properly cure and gas off. so now i have air bubbles all thru the paint and will have to sand/repant......doh!
still rest is coming along nicely. a base of black then gunmetal. then misted flat black, and used rub n buff to pick out fine details, edges:
C7B47198-8EB2-429D-9CB1-A28E8777C0AE_zpsymbbznmq.JPG
C7B47198-8EB2-429D-9CB1-A28E8777C0AE_zpsymbbznmq.JPG (1.38 MiB) Viewed 8357 times
8E61D10E-C464-4E52-B0D0-AE1252F97C52_zpsys9tkck6.JPG
8E61D10E-C464-4E52-B0D0-AE1252F97C52_zpsys9tkck6.JPG (2.72 MiB) Viewed 8357 times
then a wash of black, then a couple of washes of brown. Im going to leave it cure for a few days( also ran out of black acrylic for washes!) and will lay down a few more washes to darken and deepen the colour before a final dry brush of rub n buff and sealing.
this is how it looks now:
40B6487F-ED13-4B80-A1C2-ED34BFC28DDD_zpscmaqtfyl.JPG
40B6487F-ED13-4B80-A1C2-ED34BFC28DDD_zpscmaqtfyl.JPG (2.5 MiB) Viewed 8357 times
Armante
Commander
Commander

Post by Armante »

Looks so good. I gotta learn how to do this :)
Then I can practise on my E5 and E11s before (hopefully) doing a DLT19!
joshsurf
Ensign
Ensign

Post by joshsurf »

It's pretty straight forward. Pi learned a lot about weathering from my on going mandalorian merc build. If you want any tips pm me.