Josh's OGA DLT19 build PIC HEAVY!

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
Armante
Commander
Commander

Re: Josh's OGA DLT19 build PIC HEAVY!

Post by Armante »

oota goota wrote:
Armante wrote:Just wondering guys - does a B not normally come with a barrel? Was it missing from Josh's for a reason?

I ask because to go to quite this level might be beyond my abilities and spare time :)
Hey man it's all up for grabs really. If you need a barrel I can organise one no probs. Josh's mg34 was the very first to come out of that mold and I underestimated how much casting material I needed by like just a wee bit so close and yet so far :)

I'm not sure how many seconds I'm going to cast to be honest :0 famous last words right. I'm considering a rawcast option too. Not sure yet but there might be a way to produce a cheaper gun faster that would need a lot more finishing but that wont take me a day or two to make.

Sorry to hijack thread Josh :)
Cool, thanks Jon. I'd want a barrel I think, but raw cast for the parts might be okay - just sanding, puttying, etc etc right?
Making a barrel might be a lot more difficult. Although, having said that, if it's a matter of buying a pvc pipe and drilling holes I guess that's cool!

Sorry if it sounds like I'm dithering - I'm certainly keen to have one, but want to make sure it won't be beyond my abilities :)
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Armante wrote:
oota goota wrote:
Armante wrote:Just wondering guys - does a B not normally come with a barrel? Was it missing from Josh's for a reason?

I ask because to go to quite this level might be beyond my abilities and spare time :)
Hey man it's all up for grabs really. If you need a barrel I can organise one no probs. Josh's mg34 was the very first to come out of that mold and I underestimated how much casting material I needed by like just a wee bit so close and yet so far :)

I'm not sure how many seconds I'm going to cast to be honest :0 famous last words right. I'm considering a rawcast option too. Not sure yet but there might be a way to produce a cheaper gun faster that would need a lot more finishing but that wont take me a day or two to make.

Sorry to hijack thread Josh :)
Cool, thanks Jon. I'd want a barrel I think, but raw cast for the parts might be okay - just sanding, puttying, etc etc right?
Making a barrel might be a lot more difficult. Although, having said that, if it's a matter of buying a pvc pipe and drilling holes I guess that's cool!

Sorry if it sounds like I'm dithering - I'm certainly keen to have one, but want to make sure it won't be beyond my abilities :)
no worries armante its good to think it through I reckon:) And yes they would be a case of bog, sand prime paint :)
joshsurf
Ensign
Ensign

Post by joshsurf »

It's not a case of ability but more of practice. There were a lot of reference and templates that I went thru before I found one that's right for me. As far as accuracy goes, I'm looking for a BFG that looks the part and is good to troop with. I've seen a lot of DLTs in my forum travels and I got to say Jons are some of the better ones around.
It's just that you need to be patient take your time, as soon as you rush things that's where you have to start ripping it to pieces and starting again. And that takes a whole lot more time(and swearing!) do it right first time. I almost fell into that trap as I wanted it ready for a troop we did last nite, I pushed it, and then just before I started down the dark path I stopped and had to tell myself it wasn't going to be ready...and just deal with it. Hah I just wanna see my fellow troopers faces when I pull out the beast and watch them turn green!
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

joshsurf wrote:It's not a case of ability but more of practice. There were a lot of reference and templates that I went thru before I found one that's right for me. As far as accuracy goes, I'm looking for a BFG that looks the part and is good to troop with. I've seen a lot of DLTs in my forum travels and I got to say Jons are some of the better ones around.
It's just that you need to be patient take your time, as soon as you rush things that's where you have to start ripping it to pieces and starting again. And that takes a whole lot more time(and swearing!) do it right first time. I almost fell into that trap as I wanted it ready for a troop we did last nite, I pushed it, and then just before I started down the dark path I stopped and had to tell myself it wasn't going to be ready...and just deal with it. Hah I just wanna see my fellow troopers faces when I pull out the beast and watch them turn green!
mmmm more time and swearing :) Hope you can take a pic of the troops when you bust it out :woot:
joshsurf
Ensign
Ensign

Post by joshsurf »

oota goota wrote:
joshsurf wrote:It's not a case of ability but more of practice. There were a lot of reference and templates that I went thru before I found one that's right for me. As far as accuracy goes, I'm looking for a BFG that looks the part and is good to troop with. I've seen a lot of DLTs in my forum travels and I got to say Jons are some of the better ones around.
mmmm more time and swearing :) Hope you can take a pic of the troops when you bust it out :woot:
Hell yeah!
joshsurf
Ensign
Ensign

Post by joshsurf »

haha, i know in this current climate that its silly to be doing this as no one will see it publicly for a while but thought id update progress on this!
built me some t tracks out of styrene sheets. dunno how well they will hold together, and now i have some more time( was rushing to get this done for TFA premier!) i may search for some alternative in nz. heard of people using plastic rake prongs, so will look into that too.
have drilled the barrel. gave up trying to find a good hole template s decided to make my own out of a few ideas mashed up. didn't turn out well but hoping t tracks will cover them up enough..
382C95A5-22F2-452F-8B72-1B2761CCDD1B_zpspdhbg5zn.JPG
382C95A5-22F2-452F-8B72-1B2761CCDD1B_zpspdhbg5zn.JPG (1.91 MiB) Viewed 7328 times
finally painting, used a base of gunmetal then misted over top with matte black. i am going to weather it with some rub n buff.
31ED7BBC-281F-491D-B03F-C321518773B6_zpscjgmy9li.JPG
31ED7BBC-281F-491D-B03F-C321518773B6_zpscjgmy9li.JPG (2.07 MiB) Viewed 7328 times
getting there!!
test run II
1C2C3A1A-D97E-4328-96B3-5359BD2171B0_zpsgqyz4neq.JPG
1C2C3A1A-D97E-4328-96B3-5359BD2171B0_zpsgqyz4neq.JPG (3.14 MiB) Viewed 7328 times
38A025FB-1FE4-4BA2-8869-4653521E99BD_zpsg1jazqra.JPG
38A025FB-1FE4-4BA2-8869-4653521E99BD_zpsg1jazqra.JPG (3.22 MiB) Viewed 7328 times
Armante
Commander
Commander

Post by Armante »

Looks good already. Can't wait to see it all finished up and weathered.
joshsurf
Ensign
Ensign

Post by joshsurf »

Lol well it's not like I'm going to be able to show it off anywhere else!
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

very nice man! Looks great I think the barrel looks fine, you've got the right pattern job done!

You've done a really nice job with it looks totally bad ass! Probably don't carry around unless you're in your armour though :p
joshsurf
Ensign
Ensign

Post by joshsurf »

oota goota wrote:very nice man! Looks great I think the barrel looks fine, you've got the right pattern job done!

You've done a really nice job with it looks totally bad ass! Probably don't carry around unless you're in your armour though :p
cheers bro! stilll got the stock to paint as im going to do it like the original bakelite.
i wont be carrying it around anywhere at the moment as LFL/Disney has said no blasters at any event till further notice!! :cry: