NZ BB-8 Builders?

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

NZ BB-8 Builders?

Post by MattG »

Bazzack and I have been having a bit of a conversation about building lifesize BB-8s locally, and were wondering who else in NZ might be interested in collaborating in such a project for themselves?

The BB-8 Builders group, an off-shoot of the R2 Builders group (of which Bazzack and I are both longstanding members, and through which we got lots of great info and support in building our respective astromechs), has released for non-commercial use, all of the STL files to print the BB-8 dome, dome details, and body details. It's therefore "just" a matter of getting access to a 3D printer of adequate specs. Using local 3D printer service providers, or contracting other US prop-makers, would come in at something like $720 for the 60-ish hours of printing time required, so it would be great (and should be feasible) to find a cheaper solution.

A local plastic shop, Cambrian Plastics, manufactures the correct size (500mm diam) acrylic spheres for the body, at a shade over $60 per hemisphere. http://cambrianplastics.co.nz/product/domes/

mdb
Captain
Captain

Re: NZ BB-8 Builders?

Post by mdb »

I'm definitely keen, BB8, the little mouse droids, or Chopper have all been on my would like to list :) And I just found someone who has done a mouse droid with little mouse driver. Might just make a mousie anyway...

But yeah, apparently 3D printing through the library is very cheap, might work out more reasonable as I think they have a few of the same kind of printer across the city. I know one of their machine which usually gets supplied with a silver monofilament is capable of more fine details. I'm looking at maybe printing some lightsabers as I've had a chance to handle results specific to those machines and they are very sturdy yet light.
http://www.aucklandlibraries.govt.nz/EN ... paces.aspx
They even have a spreo robot... ummm... (I think they mean Blender not Blendr.. I'll email Peggy and let her know :) I need to do a follow up debrief after my workshops anyway :)
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

would the 3d printed dome be strong enough? I'm a bit sceptical of using printed objects as the finished product. I'd be tempted to do a glass copy of the print after clean up
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

oota goota wrote:would the 3d printed dome be strong enough? I'm a bit sceptical of using printed objects as the finished product. I'd be tempted to do a glass copy of the print after clean up
I haven't analysed the full design, and understand your caution, but I'm reasonably confident based on the number that have been made/are being made using the same pool of component files. The dome has four quarters for the main surfaces, and a number of superficial and underlying structural rings.

The FB group is here, for anyone interested in joining, and seeing other people's builds. https://www.facebook.com/groups/BB8BuildersClub
badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

I have been following the you tube series from Xrobots.co.uk and find this quite interesting with his build and progress.
It would be nice to have one as it would be a slightly cheaper option to R2 that i would like as well. :)
Doomsday and Armageddon got together and had a baby and man is it ugly.
Jay
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Jay »

This sounds interesting.
I'd love an R2 unit but being large and expensive makes it a challenge at this point.
A BB-8 might be a good compromise. Especially if the cost is spread out over the build period.
I also have access to 3D software and am slowly investing in workshop tools (drill press, welder, bench sander, hand tools, air brushes).
Bazzack
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Bazzack »

MattG wrote: A local plastic shop, Cambrian Plastics, manufactures the correct size (500mm diam) acrylic spheres for the body, at a shade over $60 per hemisphere. http://cambrianplastics.co.nz/product/domes/
My initial (a bit too quick) look at the BB-8 Builders club spec led me to believe they were working off a 500mm sphere.
But it appears that it's actually 506mm!

A very small difference, but could cause big issues with the 3D files?
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Bazzack wrote:...A very small difference, but could cause big issues with the 3D files?
Just a scale adjustment required, to 98.8%, apparently. http://astromech.net/forums/showthread. ... post337677
Bazzack
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Bazzack »

MattG wrote:
Bazzack wrote:...A very small difference, but could cause big issues with the 3D files?
Just a scale adjustment required, to 98.8%, apparently. http://astromech.net/forums/showthread. ... post337677
Excellent! :)
Bazzack
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Bazzack »

MattG wrote: Using local 3D printer service providers, or contracting other US prop-makers, would come in at something like $720 for the 60-ish hours of printing time required, so it would be great (and should be feasible) to find a cheaper solution.
Just saw one of the other builders mention times of approx 50-60 hours for the dome alone. And 500-600 hours for all parts!!
Totally different to what the FAQ says, and a bit scary.

Need to investigate more. Obviously it will depend on the printer, but it's making me think more and more about the option of buying a printer....

However another interesting post I saw on the BB8 fbook page today showed a cast resin dome that had been taken off a 3D printed one. Looked great, and apparently lighter.
I've never cast anything in my life apart from a fishing line, but it would certainly be an effective and fast way of creating copies right?