NZ BB-8 Builders?

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: NZ BB-8 Builders?

Post by oota goota »

good to know I might go have a look see what folk are doing over there
Armante
Commander
Commander

Post by Armante »

badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

Armante wrote:Anyone seen this? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QbFvDIyy1k
Hey thanks for sharing that Armante, it looks like a nice quick cheap way to start making your own BB8.
Doomsday and Armageddon got together and had a baby and man is it ugly.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Yeah the guy is really clever, quite an all rounder and given the materials he was using he got a nice result!
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Had a good brainstorm with MG over the weekend. a tentative way forward with the droid is to try the following;

* Vac form the white body panels based on an acrylic dome
* 3d print a generic orange/ white circle body panel with as much detail as possible and mold can cast this 6 times per droid
* Print metallic decals for the centre details of the circles.
* 3d print and duplicate head.

ok so well a little of progress on this :)
Bazzack
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Bazzack »

This all sounds good. Has anyone purchased a dome/pair of domes for the body yet?
I'm pretty keen to get an order in do will probably do that very soon.

And is there anyone in the group that has a 3d printer capable of printing the parts to mold from? Or are you thinking of going commercial on that?
oota goota wrote:Had a good brainstorm with MG over the weekend. a tentative way forward with the droid is to try the following;

* 3d print a generic orange/ white circle body panel with as much detail as possible and mold can cast this 6 times per droid

oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Bazzack wrote:This all sounds good. Has anyone purchased a dome/pair of domes for the body yet?
I'm pretty keen to get an order in do will probably do that very soon.

And is there anyone in the group that has a 3d printer capable of printing the parts to mold from? Or are you thinking of going commercial on that?
oota goota wrote:Had a good brainstorm with MG over the weekend. a tentative way forward with the droid is to try the following;

I haven't got a dome yet got a couple of things to get through first. But I'll let you know when I do or if I can borrow one of yours for a test pull.

I can get access to a pretty good commercial printer but I'm not sure how much it would cost. I can scope it out if you like.
Bazzack
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Bazzack »

oota goota wrote: I haven't got a dome yet got a couple of things to get through first. But I'll let you know when I do or if I can borrow one of yours for a test pull.

I can get access to a pretty good commercial printer but I'm not sure how much it would cost. I can scope it out if you like.
No problem to borrow a dome once I have them.
And it'd be good to get an idea of what a good commercial printer would cost to make the parts to mold off for sure.

Over on the BB-8 builders group there's a few guys working on a design for the complete internal body sphere, with attachable outer shell parts.
Pretty amazing stuff!
Photo borrowed from a post on the BB-8 builders Facebook page(Jon Johnson):
IMG_1662.JPG
IMG_1662.JPG (125.26 KiB) Viewed 14448 times
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

wow that's cool! that's kind of what we are looking at I think although not as fancy :) We could attach each of our panels to an interior dome using those little round plugs that appear on all the panels.
Bazzack
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Bazzack »

oota goota wrote:wow that's cool! that's kind of what we are looking at I think although not as fancy :) We could attach each of our panels to an interior dome using those little round plugs that appear on all the panels.
Great idea! I think that one has magnets attaching the big circle parts. And they'll use those panels to access the mechanicals, for those attempting a motorised BB