What's on your workbench?

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
mdb
Captain
Captain

Re: What's on your workbench?

Post by mdb »

Ahsoka, Padme, Elsa, Mina, Elissa... got a few projects on the make or make over :)

Ahsoka is testing my patience in 3D modelling and working with latex again. But on the upside it turns out I can stretch higher density leather! It just takes the perfect temperature of water for the molding part. Yay :)
I need to now orient all the pieces- cura should be okay to test for errors as well. And then I need to get the gcode and retest my printer. I need to make the hooks for her belt pieces so that can be the first test.
I need to take dremel to seams (the felt bit works very well on latex) but the back lekku is at least ready to be coated and stuffed. But I am not sure I like what I have made so there may be a bit of a tour of options.
And padme. Dress of much fabric. And stamping. And specifically placed wrinkles.

There is 30 rows of stitching holding the ribbon down. I did it by hand originally but decided to add a strength lining and figured it would be good to machine sew for stability.
That bodice is in two parts yes, this is a quick change costume on stage :) I'm trying to get the hem to play nicely but I need even more net and more horsehair braid. maybe even some boning.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

wow!
Blaxmyth
Commander
Commander

Post by Blaxmyth »

oota goota wrote:wow!
Yep, what you said, Oot. Just ' wow!'
mdb
Captain
Captain

Post by mdb »

Thank you :) I'm also working on an Anne of Cleves gown that I think hasn't been identified as hr. The curse of the fail has hit all of these projects so that's why there has not been much in the way of updating.

I also rearranged the studio to feel more like a studio, workflow is better again :)

And now there are also a pair of equestrian boots out there and a piece of nearly identical leather to make covers for the zips. I'll have plenty left other for anyone else needing them. I hope. Otherwise it's in the "fantasy" hides at LAPCO. it's a very thin fine grain and crisp leather on a shelf between waist and thigh to the very far left of the wall. $10/hide about 50x50cm from memory.
batmanreturns
Ensign
Ensign

Post by batmanreturns »

IMG_3767-1.jpg
IMG_3767-1.jpg (170.87 KiB) Viewed 12500 times
well,i had given this project up for dead when i ordered a cowl and the deal went south,but i sorted a new cowl from a different source,and voila,here is the first fitting.
i just need a decent faux leather cape now,and the 'batman' shall indeed return.

thanks.
"never be afraid to raise your voice for honesty and truth and compassion against injustice and lying and greed. if people all over the world would do this....it would change the earth." -w.faulkner.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

nice!
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Ok since we're discussing non-SW props/ costumes I am sloooowwwwwly chipping away at this guy. This one's definitely at the bottom of the projects pile it's really only when I get a spare moment here and there but it's been an interesting exercise in seeing how far I can push the vac forming thing. I am able to make the forms fairly quickly as I don't have to worry about a super smooth finish for this guy.

I hope to get up the hips by the end of the year ha we'll see
Attachments
20171006_163941.jpg
20171006_163941.jpg (1.16 MiB) Viewed 12446 times
20171006_163709.jpg
20171006_163709.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 12446 times
ABC.jpg
ABC.jpg (162.99 KiB) Viewed 12446 times
Armante
Commander
Commander

Post by Armante »

:blink:

:woot:

WOW! :)
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Armante wrote::blink:

:woot:

WOW! :)
ha ha ha Those first two emoji's is how I often feel about this build :) The thing is going to stand roughly 2.5m high when it's done. I confess it's totally a compulsion thing or an OCD thing with this one
Armante
Commander
Commander

Post by Armante »

oota goota wrote: ha ha ha Those first two emoji's is how I often feel about this build :) The thing is going to stand roughly 2.5m high when it's done. I confess it's totally a compulsion thing or an OCD thing with this one
The very best kind of passion for a project!
I hope to see it stomping around at a con one day :)