ANH 5 Footer Millennium Falcon Miniature Filming Replica.

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ANH 5 Footer Millennium Falcon Miniature Filming Replica.

Post by MattG »

eagle1 wrote:...
Just how does one post pics here Matt?...
Just as an aside, Stu, over the last few days, I've changed the image compression coding for the forums, so that images of any size can be uploaded without restriction (will explain some of the details in the 'Tech Support & Announcements' section shortly).
eagle1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by eagle1 »

Buzz Bumble wrote:
eagle1 wrote:[I have worked with printed parts & find them a pain to work with, in the sense that a lot of clean up needs to done, especially trying to get smooth, removing all the 'layers'. Yes, the parts were ultra hi-rez too!.
There was an article recently in the local North Shore Times freebie newspaper about someone who is using 3D printing at home to build a full-size replica of an old Aston Martin. Apparently he sets it up to print a part, then leaves it printing for the week, then cleans up the part which takes a while. At the moment he's got the plastic parts laid out on a wooden frame, but once he's got all the plastic parts made, he's planning to use them to create a mould to make fibreglass panels, and fit those onto a chassis with a Nissan Skyline engine. It's probably on the newspaper's website.

The NZ Herald website crashes my old computer, but I think this is the same story: 3D Printed Replica Aston Martin.
Yeah I saw this & kept the article. Amazing really & makes you wonder how far this technology will go?.
There are metal printers now, some using Titanium to make virtually anything, even a replacement jaw bone for a dog, saw that this week somewhere, incredible!.
eagle1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by eagle1 »

MattG wrote:
Just how does one post pics here Matt?...
Just as an aside, Stu, over the last few days, I've changed the image compression coding for the forums, so that images of any size can be uploaded without restriction (will explain some of the details in the 'Tech Support & Announcements' section shortly).
Cheers Matt, that will help a lot, great stuff!. As I go along, I take a ton of construction pics, sharing what I consider to be the most relevant & interesting.
This week has been dedicated to working out the 'mandible' side walls dimensions, laying out the kit parts & making sure everything fits as it should. This leads to the 'inner' mandible walls & laying out these parts & then referencing these with top & bottom details. Might sound a nightmare to you, but I enjoy it.
All the time now spent in research & measuring will ensure an accurate blank hull for me to attach all the other structures, armour plating & kit parts. If the hull is off, nothing will fit & I won't be a happy chappie.
Stu
Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Harvey Mushman »

This thread is awesome.
Andiamo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Andiamo »

Eagle1 you should produce a photo book of this project. I'd buy a copy. An absolutely awesome project for the ages.
eagle1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by eagle1 »

Thanks guys.

Yeah, a photo book of sorts would be cool, a start to finish construction manual I guess!.
She's such a monster though, the book would be pretty thick :lol:
Probably be subject to copyright as well, hmmmm :?

Here's the pic from the classic MPC kit of my childhood. Even as a kid, I thought, what if?.
34 years later the dream is becoming reality :D
Stu
Attachments
1979mpcfalconboxlidc32[1].jpg
1979mpcfalconboxlidc32[1].jpg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 12091 times
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Here's the pic from the classic MPC kit of my childhood. Even as a kid, I thought, what if?....
I love the box art from those original 70s MPC kits!
eagle1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by eagle1 »

Matt, the box art of the early MPC kits sure brings back happy memories for sure. I had them all, the Stardestroyer was another I drooled over :lol:
The Falcon pic on the MPC box is actually the 5 footer filming miniature, in pristine condition, with all her original donor kit parts present. A lot have fallen/broken off over the years sadly :cry:
The scary & geeky thing I can do now, is name the kit every donor part comes from in that pic :roll:

I'm very close now to a final working blueprint, which means hull construction can begin very soon. I better start clearing some space. She's around 1.7m x 1.23m in size, so my armature will allow me to work on her with mounting points in the top/underside quad gun turrets & both docking cones on the sides.

Stu
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

game on!
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

eagle1 wrote:Yeah I saw this & kept the article. Amazing really & makes you wonder how far this technology will go? There are metal printers now, some using Titanium to make virtually anything, even a replacement jaw bone for a dog, saw that this week somewhere, incredible!.
There are also prototypes for "printing" food using varioud edible "inks" and even spare body parts like human ears, hearts, etc. using stem-cell-based "inks". It's basically the start of on-demand manufacturing and even the beginnings for a real Star Trek replicator.

Once the speed of the printers becomes more usable, it will no doubt eventually see the end to many huge manufacturing companies and retailers - want a new hinge for your cupboard, just download the plan from the engineering company that designed it (the cost would be neglible, like mobile phone apps today) and print one yourself.