Taranaki around the mountain relay....and Star Wars

All friendly discussions not directly related to Star Wars. Includes 'Introductions' section.
Forum rules
1: Personal attacks on individuals or groups, direct or indirect, are considered contrary to the SWNZ mission. SWNZ is a supportive community.
2: The posting of content or language deemed unsuitable for a general audience is considered contrary to the SWNZ mission. SWNZ is an inclusive community.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: Taranaki around the mountain relay....and Star Wars

Post by oota goota »

ok so after action report :)

Turned out there were 10 hills on my 12km leg :blink:

I got to my gear on about 1:30pm a bit earlier than expected and so my brain hadn't quite caught up to the fact that I was going to actually do this. The lady on the start desk took my time looked at me and said "are you ready?" and I said "nope"

I think it was about 1km that I realised that this was actually a thing that was happening. But as I got into the run it turned out not too bad. The suit was working really well especially the legs. The chest and back I didn't really feel. The helmet was a bit of a nightmare it pretty much bounced up and down on my head for an hour but the holes I had cut into the bucket helped heaps. I ditched the forearms and gloves about 4km in and ditched a shoulder bell about 7km in.

Overheating was a problem so I ran slower than I normally do and had to work a bit harder. I walked about 4 of the hills and the last one was a killer I really wanted to walk but there were heaps of people at the relay point and I was damned if I was going to stroll up hell no!

Got lots of support from people on the road side and from other runners (as they overtook me :) )

I'll post a few pics as they come up but here's the first one so far:

So would I recommend running in a tk? Not sure really it was easier in some ways than what I thought it would be but that was thanks to the flexi parts of the suit.

If I did it again I'd like a shorter leg and I'd like to put the foot down a bit and try and get some speed!
Blaxmyth
Commander
Commander

Post by Blaxmyth »

Congratulations! Great banner pic in the paper. Well done for making the distance. Planning next year's race? - or is it still too soon...
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Blaxmyth wrote:Congratulations! Great banner pic in the paper. Well done for making the distance. Planning next year's race? - or is it still too soon...
thanks blax ha ha no idea mate I'll probably run again for sure but in a tk? mmmmmmm
fredstar
Colonel
Colonel

Post by fredstar »

Wow dude! I can't believe you did it! Do you think it would have been easier in ABS seeing as it's lighter?

I'm still keen to try it out one day after doing god knows how many half marathons, I think it's time to spice it up a bit and give this a go.

Who's crazy enough to join me :p
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

fredstar wrote:Wow dude! I can't believe you did it! Do you think it would have been easier in ABS seeing as it's lighter?

I'm still keen to try it out one day after doing god knows how many half marathons, I think it's time to spice it up a bit and give this a go.

Who's crazy enough to join me :p
hey man yeah it was a good laugh. The flexi suit was definitely an asset for the legs and the groin/ butt. There's a fair bit of movement and whenever the suit hit against another part of the suit it compressed rather than impacted. Having the top half in ABS was good though definitely cooler.

The biggest challenge was wearing the helmet. I popped the visor, cut out the traps and padded the helmet so it only touched in a few places. But it's hot under there and when you're running it doesn't get any better :) So I had to slow down a bit to avoid over heating etc etc.

Anyway man if you want to borrow the flexi-bits sometime let me know. I might have a go at vac forming some white poly propylene see if that works
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Nice one Jon; real good work! Look forward to seeing pics of you in action. :)
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

MattG wrote:Nice one Jon; real good work! Look forward to seeing pics of you in action. :)
Thanks MG yeah me too. I haven't seen many yet I must have been moving too fast :)
badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

Hey this is the first time I've been on line in a few days, good work oota, great result, I hope it wasn't too hot for you.
Doomsday and Armageddon got together and had a baby and man is it ugly.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

badges2nz wrote:Hey this is the first time I've been on line in a few days, good work oota, great result, I hope it wasn't too hot for you.
cheers badges it was a lot cooler than what I was expecting but I was definitely staggering a bit at the end!
Tallboy
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Tallboy »

Hi Guys,
I'm new here