Can anyone remember the name of this sci-fi TV show?

All friendly discussions not directly related to Star Wars. Includes 'Introductions' section.
Forum rules
1: Personal attacks on individuals or groups, direct or indirect, are considered contrary to the SWNZ mission. SWNZ is a supportive community.
2: The posting of content or language deemed unsuitable for a general audience is considered contrary to the SWNZ mission. SWNZ is an inclusive community.
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Can anyone remember the name of this sci-fi TV show?

Post by Archon Revuge »

This has been bugging me for a few years now, so I'm hoping that some of my fellow SWNZers might be able to help. Basically, I'm trying to recall the name of a short-lived television series (potentially miniseries) that aired on NZ television (but wasn't necessarily NZ-made) during the mid-90s. The details I can recall are as follows:
  • The series centred around a teenage human boy who encountered an older man with some sort of interplanetary / inter-dimensional travelling ship.

The older man had a Henson-esque pet / sidekick with glowing fibre-optic hair.

Each week, the trio would travel to a new world / dimension hunting for large pieces of a puzzle-like crystal device in need of assembly.

The sidekick's hair would glow whenever a piece of the crystal puzzle was near.

At the same time, an antagonist in a robotic exo-suit was also travelling from world to world attempting to collect the same crystal pieces.

The giant twist at the end of the series was that the older man with whom the teenager was travelling was the real bad guy (bent on world domination or some-such), and the man in the exo-suit was actually trying to stop him from assembling the crystal puzzle.
Vague, I know, But it's the best I can do given that I was around 10 at the time it aired. I'd put the whole thing down to a fanciful memory if it wasn't for the fact that I've managed to find two other people on the internet trying (unsuccessfully) to discover the name of the same show (here and here). It might have been an exclusively Australasian production, which would explain why traces of it are so scarce on the web. But I know for a fact that it aired in NZ, hence I'm turning to y'all for help!
knock
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Can anyone remember the name of this sci-fi TV show?

Post by knock »

Hey Archon :)
Have you tried this forum, http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1898219
Hopefully that directed you straight to it, if not they have a tread "What was the name of that TV show?"
But yeah if it is an Australasian show someone might know on there.
Hope that helps :)
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

knock wrote:Have you tried this forum, http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1898219...
Thanks knock! Thrown a post up on the forum over there. Fingers crossed :)
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

it's a terrible thing when you can't remember the name of a show....or anything really! I hope you get your answer it drives me nuts when I can't recall stuff :)
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Got me stumped. Here's another place to look, including a forum where people ask similar questions - http://www.retrojunk.com/
Blaxmyth
Commander
Commander

Post by Blaxmyth »

I've emailed some mates - all uber-nerds - and they might be able to help. :D
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

Blaxmyth wrote:I've emailed some mates - all uber-nerds - and they might be able to help. :D
Thanks Blaxmyth!
Blaxmyth
Commander
Commander

Post by Blaxmyth »

Evan suggested it sounds like "Josh Kirby - Time Warrior" and the wikipedia page seems to back this up. Six episodes. Also on YouTube.

Hope this helps.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

LOL at the Lucas references - "Irwin 1138", "Dr. Zoetrope".
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

Blaxmyth wrote:Evan suggested it sounds like "Josh Kirby - Time Warrior" and the wikipedia page seems to back this up. Six episodes. Also on YouTube.

Hope this helps.
THAT'S IT!!!

You're a legend Blaxmyth! Can't tell you how long this has been haunting me for! Please pass on a huge thanks to Evan for me :)