Art of District 9 book

All friendly discussions not directly related to Star Wars. Includes 'Introductions' section.
Forum rules
1: Personal attacks on individuals or groups, direct or indirect, are considered contrary to the SWNZ mission. SWNZ is a supportive community.
2: The posting of content or language deemed unsuitable for a general audience is considered contrary to the SWNZ mission. SWNZ is an inclusive community.
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Art of District 9 book

Post by Reverend Strone »

The Art of District 9 (written by me!)

I hope you don't mind me taking a moment to plug this one in case anyone was interested. I've just finished work on the Art of District 9, a 160 page book which covers Weta Workshop's contributions to the movie from last year. We're a little behind the ball with this one, releasing it over a year after the film came out, but the licensing on the project wasn't sorted out until late last year, so we couldn't get it out any sooner. So far, we're the only company that has come aboard to buy a license for it and we're doing collectibles and full size prop replicas as well. Hopefully the film made enough of a dent in public consciousness for a book coming out 18 months later to still do well. We'll soon find out anyhow! :lol:

The book is a jacketed hard cover with hundreds of pieces of concept art included, some lavish, full page photography and quotes from the director and designers behind the film. At Weta Workshop we provided designs for the aliens, alien technology and ships, graphics and human MNU hardware. We built the props and did the special prosthetic make-up work including the various gore and injury stuff. This book covers all that, including a tonne of stuff that never made it into the film but was really too cool not to show off (an alternate exo suit, unseen guns, dozens of discarded alien designs etc).

I was one of the designers on the project, although my input was pretty minimal, but in the wake of the film it fell to me to compile, design and write the book, something that I've spent the last three months on. I'm really proud of how it turned out and hope you guys will dig it too - it's a very dense book, packed with imagery and info. Anyways, it's at the printers now, with a tentative worldwide release in October or November, in time for Christmas. As soon as I am able, I'll start posting preview images for everyone to enjoy and hopefully Amazon or someone else will have a preorder page up soon too. Meantime, here's our cover art...

Cheers friends. :)
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Art of District 9 book

Post by MattG »

Plug away!

I'm a big fan of "art of" books, and Weta Workshop made some really interesting contributions to the design and feel of D9. The unused/alternate designs are always interesting to see too. :)
farmboynz
Colonel
Colonel

Post by farmboynz »

Looks awesome, congrats mate, cant wait to see it in print
bring on rogue one, episode 8 and what ever else they have in stall for us :D
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Reverend Strone »