"Star Wars for girls"

All friendly discussions not directly related to Star Wars. Includes 'Introductions' section.
Forum rules
1: Personal attacks on individuals or groups, direct or indirect, are considered contrary to the SWNZ mission. SWNZ is a supportive community.
2: The posting of content or language deemed unsuitable for a general audience is considered contrary to the SWNZ mission. SWNZ is an inclusive community.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

"Star Wars for girls"

Post by Buzz Bumble »

The Canvas magazine section of yesterday's Weekend Herald had this question in the Brain Trainer quiz:

Which popular movie has been called "Star Wars for girls"?

According to the quiz's answers, it's Dirty Dancing and a quick Google search turns up that it is indeed labelled as that:
Dirty Dancing helped make Swayze a massive star and the film, sometimes called ''Star Wars for girls" due to its popularity.
Personally I would have thought it was The Princess Bride, which seems to be hugely popular with females. :)
mdb
Captain
Captain

Re: "Star Wars for girls"

Post by mdb »

I would have thought Star Wars was Star Wars for girls.. but hey what would I know. Being a girl and all ;)

But seriously I don't get the comparison at all. That may though have more to do with my generation (I saw the SW flms before DD).
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Reverend Strone »

Agreed, Star Wars is Star Wars for girls, or at least it is for my daughters now. I suppose they are meaning that it was a significant movie that resonated with a particular generation with enduring appeal, and in some way redefined movie making in its time, but if that's the case then I am not sure Dirty Dancing is deserving of such a label. Based on the preferences of many of the women I know, I'd put Grease ahead of it in those stakes, though I may not be qualified to offer an opinion, being a bloke.
mdb
Captain
Captain

Post by mdb »

lol! I suppose I just tend to think of the specific circumstances of Star Wars where a low budget movie that was essentially a retelling of some basic myths but set in "space" managed to grab the attention of so many even before it came out. I don't think I can think of any movie at all that compares. Not to the extent of there being international clubs and conventions and new generations being continually reintroduced.
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

You're absolutely right. I guess you can compare franchises like Doctor Who or Star Trek, but Star Wars really was/is lightning in a bottle.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

Another movie that is hugely popular with women is Ghost (again starring Patrick Swayze).

The Harry Potter, Twilight, and Lord of the Rings / The Hobbit movies have been extremely popular, there's even a Harry Potter theme park and there isn't a Star Wars one (Yet! Disney does apparently have big plans for one.) Hunger Games is attempting to do it too, but I don't think it will be as successful.

If you go outside movies, the Angry Birds seems to be massively popular - there's the various games, all sorts of merchandise (including of course the Angry Birds Star Wars), planned theme parks and an animated movie in the works.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Nobody puts baby in the corner......
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

oota goota wrote:Nobody puts baby in the corner......
:rotfl:
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

mdb wrote:I would have thought Star Wars was Star Wars for girls....
Yup, this. Male Star Wars fans are the minority in our household ;)
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

LOL, same here, now that I reflect on it, although if I count the cat it evens the score. He's black and white, kinda like a furry stormtrooper, which might count for something?