RIP: Ray Harryhausen - Visual Effects Pioneer

All friendly discussions not directly related to Star Wars. Includes 'Introductions' section.
Forum rules
1: Personal attacks on individuals or groups, direct or indirect, are considered contrary to the SWNZ mission. SWNZ is a supportive community.
2: The posting of content or language deemed unsuitable for a general audience is considered contrary to the SWNZ mission. SWNZ is an inclusive community.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

RIP: Ray Harryhausen - Visual Effects Pioneer

Post by Buzz Bumble »

R.I.P. Ray Harryhausen, Monster Innovator and Visual Effects Legend
The ultimate creator of movie monsters is gone. The prolific visual effects artist, and creator of our epic fantasy dreams, Ray Harryhausen, has died.

Above [view the Flash videos at io9.com] is a supercut of all his monster creations, which brings back powerful memories of crouching in front of the television set or in the back row of the movie theater, spellbound at all the uncanny action on screen.

The family of Harryhausen announced his passing in London. He was 92 years old. The stop-motion maestro and model animation trailblazer was (and will continue to be) a key inspiration for future filmmakers. His work on movies such as Clash of the Titans, Jason And The Argonauts, The Golden Voyage Of Sinbad will be remembered in the world of cinema forever (and even nodded to in current films like Monsters Inc.).

Here's a list of just a few of the modern day masters that lined up to contribute to the documentary Ray Harryhausen: Special Effects Titan: James Cameron, Steven Spielberg, Peter Jackson, Nick Park, Phil Tippett, Terry Gilliam, Dennis Muren, John Landis, Ken Ralston, Joe Dante, Randy Cook, Guillermo Del Toro, Steve Johnson, and John Lasseter.

We'll never forget you, Harry - and thank you for making us fall in love with your monsters. May we meet you again in the Valley of Gwangi in the sky!
:(
fredstar
Colonel
Colonel

Re: RIP: Ray Harryhausen - Visual Effects Pioneer

Post by fredstar »

I watched this just last month

[youtube]QY0Amr65nkE[/youtube]

Highly recommended for any Special/Visual efx fan.
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: RIP: Ray Harryhausen - Visual Effects Pioneer

Post by Reverend Strone »

Ray was a legend. His legacy in the effects community/industry can't be overstated. I'm sorry to hear we are without him now but it is a comfort to know he went quietly and without pain. He was such a gentleman.

I feel very fortunate to have the chance to meet him once when he visited NZ. He was such a class act. We hosted him at my work. He did us a great honour and gave us a four hour long interactive Q&A in which we screened snippets from all his films in our theatre with him perched on a couch next to the screen answering questions about them from us in between. It was amazing.

He is missed, but his work will be enjoyed and appreciate for generations to come.