Trouble Uploading Images?

Official announcements about the SWNZ forums and website; learn about the new software and post any questions or bug reports.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: Trouble Uploading Images?

Post by Buzz Bumble »

MattG wrote:PS: generally, 1.2MB shouldn't be too big (I've set the limit at 4MB per file)
Although the physical size of the image for the forum software may not matter, the size does matter for the users.

For dial-up users a 1.2MB images will take around 4 minutes to download and a 4MB image will take around 12 minutes.

For broadband users, the sizes eat into the data cap limits.

BUT you did say something about thumbnails, which hopefully means people can see the smaller image and click through to the large one only if they want to. I can't say I've seen that happening here and some posts still have huge images that start download, which I then usually stop.

I always put images on a specific free image hosting service and then post the direct image link they give in forum messages using the [img] tags. Currently I use postimage.org since it works with my old web browsers, but there's also TinyPic and ImageShack, among others.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Trouble Uploading Images?

Post by MattG »

Buzz Bumble wrote: Although the physical size of the image for the forum software may not matter, the size does matter for the users.

For dial-up users a 1.2MB images will take around 4 minutes to download and a 4MB image will take around 12 minutes.
True, and worth considering in general.

Here, we are talking about Archon using images as attachments, so they will only be rendered as bandwidth-friendly thumbnail versions until clicked.