Trouble Uploading Images?

Official announcements about the SWNZ forums and website; learn about the new software and post any questions or bug reports.
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Trouble Uploading Images?

Post by Archon Revuge »

Hey Matt, I've been having sporadic problems uploading images to the site over the last week or so. Up until now a quick refresh has fixed the problem, but this doesn't seem to be working anymore. Whenever I try to upload an image (specifically, in the Archon Revuge's OGA Stormtrooper Armour Build thread, but it's also occurred in the Happy Birthday Archon Revuge thread) I get a 'Server Error' page with the following:

The website encountered an error while retrieving swnz.dr-maul.com/forums/posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&t=948. It may be down for maintenance or configured incorrectly.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there something going wrong at my end?

Thanks for the help!
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Trouble Uploading Images?

Post by MattG »

I haven't noticed any issues myself, but just checking the hosting service alerts, they do report the following known issue as having been present recently (hard to determine exactly how long), which would explain the symptoms:
Intermittent latency when loading PHP pages or accessing MySQL database

When viewing PHP pages or accessing the MySQL database for your website, you may receive intermittent latency or timeout error messages.
Just as of this afternoon, they do report the issue as resolved and closed. Have you noticed problems specifically this evening?
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Actually, looking at their whole list of closed alerts, it does look like that issue would have reported at least 5 days ago (and was possibly present for longer), which would account for you noticing probs over the last week.
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

MattG wrote:Have you noticed problems specifically this evening?
Unfortunately so. I just tried again now and still had the same problem. The photo uploads all the way to 100% and then the 'Server Error' page appears.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

What's the image size (height and width in pixels, and filesize)? There is a limit on dimensions, although I've put it fairly high...the error message you get if you exceed it is a non-specific server message (not a Forum error message).
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

1200 x 1600 and between 800kb - 1.2mb.

Do you think downsizing might help get them past the timeout?
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

It should do...the server does have to do some processing to create thumbnails and log everything in the database.

I'll keep looking into things to see if there is anything I can do to tweak the load the forums put on the server, but sometimes there are just periods of lag/load on the hosting service side that don't get flagged as specific alerts.
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

Alright, thanks heaps for the help Matt :)
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

PS: generally, 1.2MB shouldn't be too big (I've set the limit at 4MB per file), but if there's lag anywhere in the route dropping it might help for now.
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

It sure has :) I halved the size of the files and they've all uploaded without any trouble. Thanks again!