R2-D2 Clone Wars

General Star Wars discussion, including the latest movie and television series news.
AaronDB94
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

R2-D2 Clone Wars

Post by AaronDB94 »

*WARNING* I was having a real 'Star Wars' moment when I wrote this haha

Now I know a lot of people might say I'm nit-picking but can anyone enlighten me on why it is that R2 has different shaped blue 'arms' in the cartoon series than he does in real life??...his legs being different doesn't bother me as they could easily have been replaced at any stage because of damage??!!
I know it doesn't really matter but with all the effort they put into matching the old films with the new ones it sort of bugs me a little that they did it that way haha :r2d2:

Bazzack
Colonel
Colonel

Re: R2-D2 Clone Wars

Post by Bazzack »

Clone Wars R2 is different in alot of ways. There's not actually very many parts on him that are the same as the R2 from the movies, but you're right that the different arms really stand out.

The cynic in me would say that they changed him enough to make a new line of merchandise easy to sell.

.....but it could be as simple as it being a cartoon, and they do that sort of thing in cartoons :)

Personally I'm a fan of the look.
Check this fan built lifesize replica out:
Clone Wars R2.jpg
AaronDB94
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AaronDB94 »

I saw another fan made Clone Wars R2 but he didn't look as good as that one.

I think you're right about them wanting to make him different so they could make new/different merchandise....because they knew there were going to be people like me who would buy him haha
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Bazzack wrote:...
The cynic in me would say that they changed him enough to make a new line of merchandise easy to sell...
LOL, yeah, a bit of this, undoubtedly.

But it's pretty standard practice for animated versions to be simplified...it's all just the same character, seen through a different eye/lens.

Considering the other official animated versions that have existed through history, the recent Clone Wars astromechs are pretty detailed.

"Holiday Special":

luke_3po_r2_2-th.jpg
luke_3po_r2_2-th.jpg (20.06 KiB) Viewed 5422 times
"Droids":

Image Image

2003 "Clone Wars" version:
clonewarsr2d2.jpg
clonewarsr2d2.jpg (106.34 KiB) Viewed 5434 times

And kind of related, the Kenner vintage R2:

Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

Both of the Clone Wars animated shows have been done in a stylised way. The current one use 3D models purposely done in a rather wooden / Thunderbirds puppets style, which will account for some differences. The needs of the storylines may also account for some differences.
AaronDB94
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AaronDB94 »

I get that they may from time to time change a characters apperance (Han going from a red stripe on his pants to yellow haha) but R2 is so iconic I thought he would have been better to keep with the original look. I understand that in earlier version's, 'Holiday Special' etc, that many people were trying to get a piece of the SW pie so that could have played a part in R2 looking different....hey it was the late 70's hahaha.

I'll have to go along with the 'more versions thay make, the more they'll sell' chain of thought?! :?