Tusken Raider - Mk2 version - a double scratchbuild

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
AaroKin
Captain
Captain

Re: Tusken Raider - Mk2 version - a double scratchbuild

Post by AaroKin »

Absolutely fantastic work....seeing great pieces like that makes me want to hit the shed.

I have plans to build R2, one day I'll get him done lol
2018 Star Wars Fan Awards
Blaxmyth
Commander
Commander

Post by Blaxmyth »

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.

I'm just coming to the trickiest part of the whole build - I'm trying to get wifely approval to invest in an upgraded new compressor so I can start sand blasting... Wish me luck! ;)
AaroKin wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:25 am seeing great pieces like that makes me want to hit the shed. I have plans to build R2, one day I'll get him done lol
badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

its been a while since i've been on the forums, this is looking great as does your original, nice work as always :D
Doomsday and Armageddon got together and had a baby and man is it ugly.
Blaxmyth
Commander
Commander

Post by Blaxmyth »

So this morning I finished assembling the two pep files ready for fibreglassing.
One is quite a bit bigger, and I am deciding whether or not to chop about 25mm out of the middle, as seen from the side. It's not overly big, and should look really intimidating on a mannequin, especially one over six foot tall.
They are sized against an EFX helmet. The pictures were taken from about 3 metres to lessen parallax distortion.
IMG_2521.jpg
IMG_2523.jpg
IMG_2524.jpg
IMG_2525.jpg
Comments welcomed re shortening the larger helmet.
Blaxmyth
Commander
Commander

Post by Blaxmyth »

Had a great day Saturday, casting scrap aluminium into ingots. I managed to get two casts of the Tusken snout piece - a bit rough but should come up OK with a lot of filing and buffing. The teeth still need to be cut out, probably with the bandsaw again, then finish them by filing and buffing.
IMG_1339.jpg
Also, I trimmed the back of the larger helmet. It's still a bit taller than the other and seems to have a better shape now. Hopefully I can get the first coat of resin on them tomorrow.
AaroKin
Captain
Captain

Post by AaroKin »

I'd be over the moon to even be able to construct the prep models lol.

I'm in no way an expert on Tuscan Raider helmets but I think I'm liking the larger of the two....the smaller one has definitely taken on a more rounded look. I know the wrapping would hide that but the larger looks more comfortable (maybe Ive just got a big head lol)

Im looking forward to seeing more pictures as you progress....truely awesome work
2018 Star Wars Fan Awards
Blaxmyth
Commander
Commander

Post by Blaxmyth »

Thanks for the kind comments - much appreciated.

As it always does, the fibreglass stiffens the card up so much that the helmet needs trimming to get my head inside. So what I'll do is have a flexible 'curtain' of leather at the back that I can glue the cloth strips onto. I seem to remember doing that to the last one I made. Early days yet, and it's still possible to cut and reshape the helmet, then glue it back together with epoxy.

This picture from MOM has a sash wrapped around the neck that shows what I'm aiming for.
mom_tuskenheadside.jpg
I'm also looking at putting some counterweights at the back of the helmet to stop the snout dragging the front down while it's being worn. Apparently the Tusken builders on the Krayt Clan do this.
Blaxmyth
Commander
Commander

Post by Blaxmyth »

Making progress with fibreglassing! Got both helmets glassed as well as two projects I'd been meaning to get to - the ABC Robot and a Terminator Space Marine helmet. The termi is going to Wellington for my son to finish and I hope to get the ABC Robot finished here at some stage. The robot head is larger than in the movie, to make it a bit more intimidating.

I trimmed the Tusken shells so that I can slip them on without any problem. They will need to be lined and have a foam band installed for wearing. Next stage is to bog the eye panel so I can sand it exactly flat - to avoid the eyes pointing in different directions. Have to do the same with the tusks as well. But they're coming along.
IMG_1341.JPG
Blaxmyth
Commander
Commander

Post by Blaxmyth »

Well, I've been busy working on other projects, so not much to report. I have prepared all the metal bits, except the snout pieces. They need to be cast again as some stray sand had spoiled the first casts. Might try these in lost foam rather than green sand. Anyway, hopefully will have some more done soon.
badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

I like your work and look forward to seeing how these ones come out, ill be up just after christmas.
I have some bits and pieces for Indy as well as a couple of pep files I might need a hand with putting together.
I'll be doing a bit of work over at nicks place, sorting out switchboard plus some wiring for a couple of days.
Doomsday and Armageddon got together and had a baby and man is it ugly.