SOLO discussion - POST RELEASE, SPOILERS

General Star Wars discussion, including the latest movie and television series news.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

SOLO discussion - POST RELEASE, SPOILERS

Post by MattG »

SPOILERS BELOW.

This is a thread to discuss Solo: A Star Wars Story, for those who have seen the film. :)

If you haven't attended a screening yet, and don't want to encounter severe spoilers, do not proceed! :D

SPOILERS BELOW.

:blink:

r2d2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: SOLO discussion - POST RELEASE, SPOILERS

Post by r2d2 »

Have just attended the mid-night screening and not overly impressed with this movie, although is what I was expecting. Found the story line a little lame and rushed to finish, also what's with Darth Maul still being alive after being cut in half and falling down a bottomless pit in Episode 1?
Still it was great seeing Chewy, Han and Lando cruising in the Millennium Falcon, with the actors playing their parts well. No doubt it will warm up to me after seeing it again over the weekend :2cents:
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

r2d2 wrote:...what's with Darth Maul still being alive after being cut in half and falling down a bottomless pit in Episode 1?...
He's been alive and well for a while in the Rebels and Clone Wars animated series, which also explain his survival. What he's up to in 'Solo' is presumably related to his actions in those series, and to the Pyke Syndicate which appears in TCW as well as Solo... http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Pyke_Syndicate
Andiamo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Andiamo »

Saw Solo today and I thought it’s was excellent. Lost of Easter Eggs for loyal fans. Fast paced and super action.
Just a great rollicking adventure. Some nice tie ins to the prequel trilogy and those that have followed TCW and Rebels. Clever.
darthjohnnyb
Cadet
Cadet

Post by darthjohnnyb »

Was that like Scylla and Charybdis from greek mythology?
Green1000
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Green1000 »

Over all, I enjoyed it! It really was a heist movie in Star Wars, rather than just another Star Wars movie. No massive battle, but no slow points either.

I loved the little easter eggs. I noticed a Mando helmet in Drydens Office, Jess pointed out Moroff (or one of his species) on Kessel. The Teräs Käsi mention was pretty cool too. But I have to say my favorite bit was hearing the Imperial March, in what sounded like a major key, being used for recruitment!

I'm sure plenty of people who missed the clone wars will really be scratching their heads about Maul. I had no idea, he was going to be in it and was happy with it. So with the ending being set up as a cliff hanger for Qi'ra, I am guessing there will be a follow up to this at some stage on the big screen.

P.S. Have to mention how perfect Donald was a Lando!
Greyz
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Greyz »

Awesome seeing the empire battle scenes! anything linking up old school stuff with current is great plus Donald Glover was amazing!
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Have seen Solo twice now, and rate it highly in terms of straight up, high-level enjoyability. Going into it, I wasn't expecting a epic blockbuster, and frankly, was pleased that it was a Star Wars film that was not dealing with Galactic-scale peril for once. Despite the early reviews floating around based on the Los Angeles premiere, I did not think it suffered from a slow start or poor pacing - I actually thought the opening Corellia scenes had nice balance, and were a good prelude. Overall plot was not unnecessarily complex, but did have enough movement and relative surprises.

One of my pre-screening hopes for it was that it would have a feel that evoked nostalgia related to the old '70s Brian Daley novels (particularly "Han Solo at Stars End")... I believe it did this, by focusing on "local" characters, rivalries, and events (whilst acknowledging the impact of the Galactic Empire by just touching on its planetary and regional impact). Loved all the shout-outs and Easter eggs, and the fact that they maintained the essence of Han and Chewie's first encounter and subsequent life-debt.

Kudos to the actors, writers, director, production designers, costume department... heck, just the whole cast and crew.
Attachments
IMG_5707m.jpg
IMG_5707m.jpg (786.53 KiB) Viewed 9567 times
r2d2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by r2d2 »

Have seen the movie a second time now, with it warming slightly from the first viewing.
I really feel the SW fans that follow the expanded SW universe will appreciate it a lot more with the links that Disney have done bringing the movie and expanded universe franchises together. For someone that hasn't read any of the many books or followed the cartoon series religiously, i'm really curious around the Darth Maul story, no doubt in time we will see a movie featuring him in it again.
I was surprise to really enjoy Woody Harrelson staring in an SW movie and thought Donald Glover roll was amazing.
Still unfortunately I found it only 'average' when it comes to SW movies, although remember this is coming from someone that thought The Last Jedi was absolutely fantastic!
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

I've shared my thoughts in a little more detail here - but in short, I absolutely loved this film. The initial announcement of a Han-centric movie had me less than excited, but now I'm having to eat my words. The same goes for the casting of Ehrenreich. Within a few moment, I 'd bought his performance completely. I was watching Han Solo.

I couldn't have been happier with how this turned out.