Vintage Card, Bubble Off... Solved :)

Star Wars action figures, models, statues, stickers, cards, promotional items, and other collectibles.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vintage Card, Bubble Off... Solved :)

Post by MattG »

I recently acquired a vintage Barada figure with accompanying cardback, bubble etc, ... but they were no longer attached to one another.

The cardback was worn, but still too nice to not try and make the most of for display. So, I thought I'd try a trick that I read about on the Rebelscum forums to reversibly and non-destructively bond the card and bubble together again.

The method involves using the same rigid plastic toploaders that I also use to store my loose cardbacks, and fortunately I had a few spare on hand. Simply mark-up and cut out one side of the plastic sleeve to accommodate the bubble including, in this case, the coin section, and slide the card in upside down. The whole thing is tightly supported on 3 sides, as well as being protected when handling.

Really happy with the result (although might try and upgrade using a scalpel to cut the plastic sleeve/toploader, to get a tidier cut).
Attachments
IMG_9757m.jpg
IMG_9757m.jpg (378.16 KiB) Viewed 5689 times
IMG_9751m.jpg
IMG_9751m.jpg (627.32 KiB) Viewed 5689 times
IMG_9750m.jpg
IMG_9750m.jpg (496.45 KiB) Viewed 5689 times
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: Vintage Card, Bubble Off... Solved :)

Post by Archon Revuge »

That's downright ingenious! Nice one Matt :)
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Cheers. Like I say, not my original idea, but one that I've been wanting to try out for ages.

Worked better than I thought. The sleeve retains its structural integrity, and is still a snug fit for the card, holding the bubble very securely (but like I say, while still being a reversible and non-destructive process).
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

wow that took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out what you did :) But yeah that's a cool solution. do you put the bubble in first?
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

I aligned everything (bubble, card, coin in place) first, then put the ensemble in the sleeve together.