Slyclone's various builds thread

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe

Re: Slyclone's various builds thread

Postby SlyClone » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:42 pm

Progress on my storm trooper helmet today. Final coat of paint went on and started assembling the helmet as well. I need to find smaller bolts for the ears and I'm likely going to tighten the ears more or fill somebody that gap where the ears meet the helmet as I don't like such a huge gap.

Any tips and thoughts guys?
Attachments
IMG_3802.JPG
IMG_3802.JPG (1.51 MiB) Viewed 78 times
IMG_3803.JPG
IMG_3803.JPG (1.47 MiB) Viewed 78 times
IMG_3805.JPG
IMG_3805.JPG (1.58 MiB) Viewed 78 times
SlyClone
Lieutenant

Postby oota goota » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:49 pm

Hey Sly I would try an engineering supply place for flathead bolts they have heaps. Tightening the ear will pull them in closer to the side of the helmet. Sometimes the order in which you tighten the bolts determines the position of the ears so you might want to play around a bit.

the other option is to do a little bit more trimming :P You've got enough thickness in the ears that you reduce them more without risking the piece.

PM me if you get stuck for bolts :)
oota goota
High Colonel

Postby SlyClone » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:58 pm

oota goota wrote:Hey Sly I would try an engineering supply place for flathead bolts they have heaps. Tightening the ear will pull them in closer to the side of the helmet. Sometimes the order in which you tighten the bolts determines the position of the ears so you might want to play around a bit.

the other option is to do a little bit more trimming :P You've got enough thickness in the ears that you reduce them more without risking the piece.

PM me if you get stuck for bolts :)

Was thinking about the local engineering place last night, will give them a shot on Monday. Seems the offical size is 3.5mm by 25mm for slotted countersink brass machine screws. Will be trying to get them.
Will try some different order of tightening the ears but as you pointed out I may need to trim them too.
SlyClone
Lieutenant

Postby SlyClone » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:58 am

So started with the decals today. Just the tube stripes for now as still need to get the grey paint for the other pieces. Also got some countersunk machine screws and replaced the horrible screws I'd used temporarily. Will need to paint them shortly too. Slowly but surely coming along.
Attachments
1490651891306351710156.jpg
1490651891306351710156.jpg (4.29 MiB) Viewed 20 times
SlyClone
Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Costumes and Props