Force Friday, Sept 4 in NZ

Preparation for events/appearances, and discussions + photo-sharing afterwards.
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: Force Friday, Sept 4 in NZ

Post by Reverend Strone »

Not wrong at all! I admire your conviction. :D

Personally, I'm going to have to be selective due to budget and because I don't know enough about the film to have figured out which figures I want to collect from it, yet. I'm also a little wary, given it appears there isn't a collector range of 3 & 3/4", at least based on skus so far revealed. I need to see how the 5POA figures look before deciding to buy them. Those sorts of figures have been a mix of misses and hits so far. 6" is too big, too expensive and the releases too sparse for me so I know I won't be buying them. At this point it's actually the mini ships that have me most interested, but again, I really need to see more before committing. I'm in wait and see mode, but nonetheless enthusiastic and keen for some fresh new SW plastic.

How about everyone else? Are some folks already all in or going to be selective?
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Michael_Lee wrote:Is it wrong to have already pre-ordered a case of figures at my local toyworld?...
Nice one; that's cool! :)
Reverend Strone wrote:...How about everyone else? Are some folks already all in or going to be selective?
Without a doubt I'll be looking at key characters in the short term. In one form or another, totally want to get new Han, Luke, and Leia figures. Am less likely to venture in to new product ranges...but yeah, very hard to make a solid call without knowing the full range, and/or the proportion and specifics of it that'll be coming out first.
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

Reverend Strone wrote:6" is too big, too expensive and the releases too sparse for me so I know I won't be buying them. At this point it's actually the mini ships that have me most interested, but again, I really need to see more before committing. I'm in wait and see mode, but nonetheless enthusiastic and keen for some fresh new SW plastic.

How about everyone else? Are some folks already all in or going to be selective?
It seems like we’re in a similar position Strone. I’m too invested in the 3 ¾” line to make a move to anything else now – so if Hasbro does abandon collector-focused figures in that scale (something which seems very likely) I’ll turn my attentions towards the 5POA figures instead. I’ll be after the main cast of characters (both new and old) as well as any trooper or pilot figures.

If the Micro Machines line is true to its name, then these’ll also be a must-buy for me. I’ll be looking to pick up any vehicles that weren’t released in the line's previous incarnation (i.e., anything from TFA, Rebels, or even the Episode II / Episode III / The Clone Wars era).

The one line I’m undecided about is the Black Series Titanium vehicles. From what we saw at SDCC, the first wave looks to be re-releases of the same molds from the old line. That being said, there were a lot Titanium vehicles I missed out on the first time around – and the compulsive completist in me is seeing this as the perfect chance to fill those gaps. But these vehicles will no doubt come with a high price point (given that they have more detail and better paint apps than the $14.99 Hot Wheels vehicles) and I’m not sure my budget will stretch that far.

It’d be a lot easier to start planning if we had a definitive list of at least the items that will hit stores on September 4th. Given that it’s less than a month away, it’s strange that we’ve seen almost nothing. Is there any chance that Hasbro might be adopting J.J.’s “mystery box” philosophy by keeping us in the dark until the very last minute?
Last edited by Archon Revuge on Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

On a slightly related note, back in 2011 I ran a collective WTB list for the Vintage Collection line to help us all keep track of who needed what. I'll be more than happy to create and maintain a similar list once we see details of the upcoming waves - but I wonder if it'll be necessary this time around? The Vintage Collection releases were sporadic and inconsistent, and I'm hoping that the distribution for the TFA line will be a lot more well-organised.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Archon Revuge wrote:...I'm hoping that the distribution for the TFA line will be a lot more well-organised.
I'd wager that we'll get good coverage initially...but there's a non-zero chance that local stocks and distribution fades a little between September and December.
Anaria
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Anaria »

I generally stay with 3 3/4" figures, but my female character collecting focus means that I'll be on the look out for those in any format.

The initial press release included apparel in the list for Force Friday, but considering our relative lack of any SW apparel compared to US stores, I do wonder how much we'll see locally outside the standard 'toy store' lines.
Rebel Legion - former LAC
Costume website FB page SWNZ FB

Kiwi sapper
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Kiwi sapper »

Captain Phasma and new storm troopers will do me nicely. Not sure on having an old Han, Luke and Leia
Join the Empire they said, See the Galaxy they said, yet here we are stuck on Tatooine
farmboynz
Colonel
Colonel

Post by farmboynz »

Kiwi sapper wrote:Captain Phasma and new storm troopers will do me nicely. Not sure on having an old Han, Luke and Leia
Agree there Kiwi sapper

For me it is all about the 3 3/4", so hoping they have some great troopers and droids
Never got into the 6" not sure the wife would let me collect them as well, the man cave is already getting pretty full
bring on rogue one, episode 8 and what ever else they have in stall for us :D
Anaria
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Anaria »

Information is starting to come out about Force Friday events in the US, with a press release from Toys'R'Us and leaked photos of Walmart's in-store signs (from employee decorating instructions).

Walmart photos *minor spoilers* -
http://makingstarwars.net/2015/08/star- ... iday-pics/

Toys'R'Us press release information -
http://www.coffeewithkenobi.com/toysrus ... ce-friday/

Toys'R'Us mentions giveaways for those first in line, which seems to vary depending on location - in the paragraph for international stores, they mention an exclusive poster, US store giveaways also include a commemorative Lego Star Wars 'brick' and for the flagship store event in New York's Times Square they also mention a JAKKS Pacific character torch. So it will be interesting to see if we get any giveaways for attendees locally (stores have given out free posters at previous SW toy release events in NZ).
Rebel Legion - former LAC
Costume website FB page SWNZ FB