The Best Star Wars Game of All Time

Star Wars games discussion: console, PC, retro-video, board, trading card, miniatures and roleplaying.
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

The Best Star Wars Game of All Time

Post by Archon Revuge »

So here's a question: What is everyone's opinion on the best Star Wars game to date?

I know it's a big ask (especially since it's difficult to compare different genres of games) but I'm pretty sure we all have our favourites.

I'll get the ball rolling and put in a vote for Knights of the Old Republic.

I've always had a leaning towards RPGs, and for me this one was near-perfect. The action tended to be a little 'on-rail' (compared with the near infinite freedom afforded by other RPGs such as the Elder Scrolls series), but this was more than made up for by the game's many other redeeming features (fluid combat, dazzling locales and a fantastic plot).

It was an especially nice touch to have the game's combat system based on the same mechanism as the pen-and-paper Star Wars Roleplaying Game.

I've always been a big combat flight simulator fan too, and I've heard that the X-Wing games were phenomenal. Unfortunately (due largely to the lack of a joystick) I never got around to playing any of these. Does anyone care to offer any thoughts on these?
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Best Star Wars Game of All Time

Post by MattG »

Computer/video games I've played more than a couple of times...

X-wing/TIE-Fighter - loved them. Played them all to death. Graphics way dated now, of course...would love to see them updated.

Republic Commando - oh yeah; a very well conceived game. I prefer FPSs over roleplaying/plot-based games.

Force Commander - had potential, but was too easy. I generally like these turn-based strategy games though.

Battlefront I & II - great fun...wasted away lot of time with both of these.

Episode I - I think I actually played this all the way through. Okay at the time, I guess.

Pod Racer - would love to see a good SW racing game, but this one just misses, somehow.

Hard to choose between the Battlefronts, RepComm, and X-wing/TIE-Fighter, for me. Different games for different moods.

Oh, and I still play this one...I'm into retro-gaming too :)
Attachments
Star Wars.png
Star Wars.png (2.15 KiB) Viewed 17180 times
Anaria
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Anaria »

My favourites were always Knights of the Old Republic, and Jedi Academy.

I tried Jedi Outcast a bit, but I just loved Jedi Academy. Being able to play as a female character, and the variety of missions were great. The force powers were just so much fun (especially the dark side ones).

I spent many nights playing Kotor too... can't remember how many times I played it through, making different choices to see how the story changed. I don't have a lot of gaming experience, but I really enjoyed the rpg style. I played Kotor II once, but I didn't enjoy it as much, seemed a bit disjointed in places. Perhaps I should play it again sometime.

Other SW games I enjoyed are the Battlefront games, and my daughter loves playing the Lego SW games with me. I haven't played much else unfortunately - still need to get my hands on Force Unleashed to try that one out.

I'm interested by the upcoming Old Republic mmo game, but I'm worried it will be good and I'll spend all my time on it...
Rebel Legion - former LAC
Costume website FB page SWNZ FB

Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

I found The Force Unleashed a real letdown. The plot was brilliant, but the gameplay (especially the use of force powers) just didn’t live up to the hype.

I’d choose Jedi Knight or Jedi Academy over it any day.

Has there been any word on whether Old Republic will be pay as you play?
Anaria
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Anaria »

According to the website, "Pricing for Star Wars: The Old Republic will be determined and announced at a later date" - but I get the feeling it will probably be a monthly subscription.

Oh, that's a shame about Force Unleashed :( I hadn't read many reviews, but hadn't heard anyone rave about it either...
Rebel Legion - former LAC
Costume website FB page SWNZ FB

Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

Anaria wrote:According to the website, "Pricing for Star Wars: The Old Republic will be determined and announced at a later date" - but I get the feeling it will probably be a monthly subscription...
That's disappointing, but I suppose it's to be expected.

Galaxies (or at least it's original incarnation) was always exceptionally tempting, though it was the monthly subscription that put me off.
acerimmerrocks
Ensign
Ensign

Post by acerimmerrocks »

Id say my favorite star wars game was Dark Forces 2 Jedi Knight. Spent ages playing that game single and multi player. Also liked KOTOR but havent really played any SW games since then.
Deadalus Thorn
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Deadalus Thorn »

Archon Revuge wrote:
Galaxies (or at least it's original incarnation) was always exceptionally tempting, though it was the monthly subscription that put me off.
I played Galaxies for almost 3 years on Valcyn server, had to ship a copy over from the US because they held back release in NZ :(.
Loved it for the first 2 years, before they Nerfed the whole system.
Still login once in a while to get my Vet rewards lol

However I would vote it as one of the better SW based games to date.

"Shadows of the empire" on N64 was awesome too.
as was KOTOR on PC and Xbox

Kind Regards
Dave
Kind Regards
Deadalus Thorn

Feel free to join our Facebook group
SDT replica props and costumes
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gi ... 108&ref=mf
reelcollectibles
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by reelcollectibles »

I always has a soft spot for Rogue Squadron on N64, in fact I played it again recently, it's kind of timeless and still excellent.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

I've got almost all the games (mostly Mac, some Windows, and a couple of others), but I've never been very good at them and usually quickly get very motion-sick with the 3D games, so haven't actually played most of them. I have just bought the Mac version of Force Unleashed which should arrive soon, not that it can even be installed on my 11 yeald old Mac.

The early ones are almost unplayable - trying to steer the T-16 through the canyons of Rebel Assault or the X-wing through the training level of X-Wing (I think) is just impossible.

I did like (and finished) the puzle game Pit Droids. I liked Pod Racer, although haven't played it much. I finished a couple of the Gameboy games.

One of the few games I'm missing is kart-racer Bombad Racing, but LucasLearning was shut down just before the Mac version was to be released. :(