Happy for negative movie reviews

General Star Wars discussion, including the latest movie and television series news.
AaroKin
Captain
Captain

Happy for negative movie reviews

Post by AaroKin »

My friend was reading through some reviews for Solo and asked me why so many SW fans seem to really dislike SW movies.

(In my opinion Alden Ehrenreich did a great job as Han Solo and from now on, to me, he is Han. I enjoyed Solo from the second it started to the second it ended)

I really hadn't thought about that before and it was a hard question to answer because people like SW for so many different reasons but the best I could come up with is that there's a large portion of SW fandom who think that SW films are made especially for them.....not anyone else, just them, and they take it as a personal insult if the film isn't exactly to their liking.

Now I'd love for Disney to make the SW film I have bouncing around my head but it would probably be the biggest bomb in movie history because it would only make sense to me. That's why I try to go into new SW movies with an open mind, yes there are things I'll love and there will be a few things that maybe don't quite connect with me but hey that's life.

I must admit that I wasn't the biggest fan of The Last Jedi when I saw it in the cinema. Luke seemed off to me and I got confused with the timeline between Rey on the Island and the Rebels being chased by the First Order, to me there were more bad then good things so the odds of me watching it again where a bit slim......then the internet hate hit me, everywhere I looked it was just negative and terrible comments about the film and the actors. It got me to thinking that surely my memory wasn't that bad because I couldn't see why so many people hated it with so much passion. So I did what I thought I wouldn't do and rewatched Episode VIII. Yes there were still parts that made me shake my head but there were so many more positives, I totally missed the whole point of the Rose, Finn story (in my opinion) and Poe having the plan kept from him was a no brainer....hey you just disobeyed orders and lost the entire bombing fleet because you were acting on impulse instead of looking at the big picture....he put the Rebels in a worse situation so why would a General feel the need to run a plan past him, she had people to try to save and didn't need Poe acting alone. I was shocked to see so many people attack the Porgs.....how could you hate the Porgs lol mind you I loved Jedi when I was younger so grew up on Ewoks so I might be biased lol.

If it wasn't for the trolls I would never have gone back to watch Episode VIII and I would have missed out on a film that in the end was enjoyable, is it the best film made well no but it's in no way the worst film ever made either.....and in the end it's just a film if you don't like it don't watch it but don't hate it without giving it a chance.

Sorry for the rant.

P.S Luke throwing his Lightsaber over his shoulder still annoys me but I'm trying to let it go hahahahaha
2018 Star Wars Fan Awards
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Happy for negative movie reviews

Post by MattG »

Yeah, it really isn't helpful when viewers who don't love a film put so much energy into trying to dissuade others from watching/liking it. The reality is, the more SW movies that come out, and the wider the fan base is, the harder it'll be to please everybody all of the time. Just keep enjoying the stories and aspects you do like :)
AaroKin
Captain
Captain

Re: Happy for negative movie reviews

Post by AaroKin »

That's exactly right, it would be great if more people realised that. I actually had some one complain to me that Solo was terrible because it tried to explain everything about Han, even how he got his blaster.......ah it's an origin story hahaha that's the whole point of the movie :rotfl:
2018 Star Wars Fan Awards