Rogue One Post-Release Discussion *SPOILERS*

General Star Wars discussion, including the latest movie and television series news.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rogue One Post-Release Discussion *SPOILERS*

Post by MattG »

Here's a thread for all those who have seen Rogue One to engage in full spoilery discussion. If you haven't seen it yet, stay clear to avoid spoilers!

No need to use spoiler tags in this thread.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rogue One Post-Release Discussion *SPOILERS*

Post by MattG »

You have been warned...don't read further if you want to avoid spoilers... :D
r2d2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by r2d2 »

Absolutely loved it, especially the final 30 min :D
Neova
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Neova »

Agreed. Very, very well executed.

Leia... :love: :love: :love:
ZY-Fighter
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by ZY-Fighter »

Superb. Absolutely, brilliantly superb. I loved it. I came out of the cinema with a smile from ear to ear.

The main cast was fantastic and I'm genuinely sorry we won't get to see any of them again. I mean that - each member of the Rogue team was great. Cassian and Krennic in particular were faves, as well as K2-SO (imagine that, the new droid character being a stand out :lol: ) and I almost cried when he bit the dust/console. The background/minor Rebels were also great as there were so many Seventies sideburns and moustaches! Each scene on Yavin felt like it was a deleted scene from ANH. And how great is Genevieve O'Reilly as Mon Mothma?!

Something I wasn't prepared for was the return of Governor Tarkin. Whomever they got for his voice was amazing, and the effects for his face seemed to get better throughout the movie (the same can't be said for Leia, I'd have been happy for a shot from behind as she said her line. That was a little let-down. Maybe a late addition?). When he was revealed I felt a chill! I was tempted to start a #PeterCushingLives hashtag on Twitter!

And Vader....wow. The bacta tank scene was pretty cool, as were his choke-the-underlings scenes, but WOW was his bit on the Rebel ship stunning to watch! I felt the dread of the Rebels he was mowing down and the menace he projected. I thought they would cut the scene when he ignited his sabre but I'm so, so glad they didn't. I was hoping he would say something like "Follow that blockade runner" as the Tantive IV departed stage-right, but oh well - that's about my only gripe with him. I'm so glad James Earl Jones came back, and whomever they had in the suit was very David Prowse-esque!

The new ship and vehicle designs (and sounds) were a lot more impressive than the toys and models had led me to expect. So often they had the appearance of practical models without making me think "this isn't real". The SDs in particular gave me massive grins each time they appeared.

And the battle scenes...man, the battle scenes. It's hard to explain how much I enjoyed them. The dogfights in particular were great (so many lady pilots!) with the on-board, Go-Pro-style shots being a particular highlight. The destruction wrought by the Death Star's single-reactor firings, too, were stupendously done.

So many cameos and references. I honestly never even thought of the idea of Ponda Baba and Dr Evazan showing up in a movie ever again.

The only negative I have is (some of) the music - a lot of it was great and very Williamsy, but some pieces had the feeling of being last minute rush-jobs, like with Peter Jackson's King Kong. I'd have loved to hear the Desplat score.

I want to see it again. My wife chose not to go last night and said she's keen to go maybe in a week or two. I'm not sure I can wait that long...
Zac in Whanganui
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

I posted my spoiler-free emotions last night here - http://www.swnz.co.nz/2016/12/14/rogue- ... iler-free/

Now I think the game, for me at least, is all about relishing and recounting all the little details that made it fantastic. I have a few key favourite moments (like, for some reason, creative aspects of the space battles like using the hammerhead corvette as a ram/tug boat on the disabled destroyer), but I really, really liked the more subtle cameos like all the ANH x-wing and y-wing pilots (except for Red Five...he was doomed in order to leave a space in that squadron, obviously).
ZY-Fighter
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by ZY-Fighter »

On the subtle cameo note - how cool was it to hear "the Whills" referred to in a cinematic release?
Zac in Whanganui
suburban_ennui
Ensign
Ensign

Post by suburban_ennui »

Generally, I thought it was great. I found the first 40 or so minutes a little disjointed and didn't feel like the narrative really gelled until after Jedha. The lack of a crawl was a little odd, and when the film's title came up, it felt (to me at least) like the lack of the Williams' score was really lacking - like someone was trying to do something that sounded *kinda* like it, but not quite.

Some of the lesser characters were really good. I love the new Mon Cal characters, and it was marvellous seeing Jimmy Smitts - he's such a great actor, and so under-used in Episode III. I got a genuine chill seeing Tarkin and, later, Leia. They were done SO well.

How did people feel about Vader's costume? I felt like he looked quite odd in the scene in his castle - the helmet seemed a little too matte, or too big - or something? But the final scene was just fabulous.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

suburban_ennui wrote:...the helmet seemed a little too matte, or too big - or something? But the final scene was just fabulous.
Vader's ANH helmet is notably flat/matte compared to ESB/ROTJ, so it's likely they were going for a match to that. It was cool that they also seemed to have his inner robe over his chest armour, as in ANH too. My interpretation of his overall look was that his shoulder width/proportions were just a little off (hence, the helmet looked a little proportionally larger).

Oooh, forgot to mention that I really liked how often the Ghost was visible in space battles (and on the landing pad at Yavin), and the reference to General Syndulla that they sneaked in there.
Gwynn Compton
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Gwynn Compton »

MattG wrote:
suburban_ennui wrote:...the helmet seemed a little too matte, or too big - or something? But the final scene was just fabulous.
Vader's ANH helmet is notably flat/matte compared to ESB/ROTJ, so it's likely they were going for a match to that. It was cool that they also seemed to have his inner robe over his chest armour, as in ANH too. My interpretation of his overall look was that his shoulder width/proportions were just a little off (hence, the helmet looked a little proportionally larger).
I thought the same thing, it was as if Vader had been squashed slightly in that scene and he just seemed much broader and the helmet seemed to sit a little lower on the chest plate than it had in ANH.

Which made it stranger when in the final sequence it had fixed itself. But it was just a minor qualm in what was otherwise the most enjoyable Star Wars movie since the original trilogy.