Sterling L2a3 whoo hoo!

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: Sterling L2a3 whoo hoo!

Post by oota goota »

Green1000 wrote:
Eng76 wrote:Not that I want to add to your to do list, but the sterling is also the base for the DH17.

Rebel Rebel!
You of all people should know that imperial gunners carry them too! Rebel scum!

DH17 is a great idea though, I'm sure there would be plenty of people wanting them
anyone know what they used on the ends of those guns? If it's easy enough I might be able to offer that as a kit too eek!
Kiwi sapper
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Kiwi sapper »

Can get hold of a scope for the DH17 :)
Join the Empire they said, See the Galaxy they said, yet here we are stuck on Tatooine
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Kiwi sapper wrote:Can get hold of a scope for the DH17 :)
nice one KS! Well I'll get my sculpt finished in a couple of weeks and then I'll get the sterling going and we can go from there. I need to do some research into the different e11s and the dh see what's need etc etc good times!
Green1000
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Green1000 »

oota goota wrote:
Green1000 wrote:
Eng76 wrote:Not that I want to add to your to do list, but the sterling is also the base for the DH17.

Rebel Rebel!
You of all people should know that imperial gunners carry them too! Rebel scum!

DH17 is a great idea though, I'm sure there would be plenty of people wanting them
anyone know what they used on the ends of those guns? If it's easy enough I might be able to offer that as a kit too eek!
From a little bit of googling, I got to here:
http://www.partsofsw.com/dh17.htm
It pretty much is saying the guns in ANH are based on a BSA Model 1949. In fact they were casts and not the real things like the e11's were.

went a bit further and found here: http://www.historicalfirearms.info/post ... -following that the barrel that we are familiar with is from a prototype with an alternative foregrip, and from that I presume it is quite rare!

oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Thanks Andy yeah that front end would have to be made. Man I wish I still had access to a lathe!
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

small update but big thanks to Eng76 for the loan of his m40 sight :) I dropped this into silicone last week and have a nice mold to do some casting from. One step closer. I'm still mucking around with that sculpt but hope to be on this a bit more in a week or two.

Armante
Commander
Commander

Post by Armante »

oota goota wrote:small update but big thanks to Eng76 for the loan of his m40 sight :) I dropped this into silicone last week and have a nice mold to do some casting from. One step closer. I'm still mucking around with that sculpt but hope to be on this a bit more in a week or two.

I had the pleasure of seeing this scope in person at the recent meet-up. Very nice indeed, and an excellent piece to add to a unique build!
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

ok needed a break from the dark trooper so I worked on the sterling a bit. I've gotten a cast out of the folding stock mold and tidied it up a bit. I'm happy with how this turned out given the difficulties with making the mold and casting it; an awkward job this piece as we couldn't detach it from the gun.

I've also cast out the wee bracket that goes on the underside of the barrel and that's all looking good too. One step closer :)

more soon...ish
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Yeah, I imagine this was a little tricky. Looks great though.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

MattG wrote:Yeah, I imagine this was a little tricky. Looks great though.
Thanks MG yeah it's a nice bit of patina on the piece and it's come up good for a casting. I'll remould the sucker once I'll gotten 1 complete sterling done