Sterling L2a3 whoo hoo!

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: Sterling L2a3 whoo hoo!

Post by oota goota »

Eng76 wrote:Not that I want to add to your to do list, but the sterling is also the base for the DH17.

Rebel Rebel!
oh yeah that's true! cool! wonder what the front of those was made out of? Thanks for adding to the list :p
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Kiwi sapper wrote:What a weekend over 900km in the old truck, Sterling safety back with its owner.

Say thanks to your family for letting me take you away from them for the two days. :D

Very interesting time seeing how things are cast and the process, a lot more work than I thought has already gone into this project.

When I dropped the gun off the owner had to show me a sight he has in his collection :o

He has the sight that goes on the top of the DH17 ;)

could be another project on the cards Oota
Hey KS yeah man wow that was a interesting couple of days I had trouble getting to sleep after :)

New project sounds good eng76 is already on the wind up. But yeah sounds good. I've got a bit more to do to get it to a useable state but it's a awesome start and a beautiful weapon.

That was a huge drive you did man I don't know how you kept functioning on Saturday :woot:
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

ok a couple of pics. Most of them were done on the barrel rather than detaching the piece mainly because we were unable to remove most of the pieces as we did not have the right tools for a sub machine gun or there were things we could not replace (like small pins etc).

So the gun ended up upside down and on it's side and hanging off the workbench in an effort to capture all the pieces.

Steve was diligently cleaning up the gun after each mold

Here's all the molds I got off the gun.

I'm going to have to remake a few pieces; the little curved detail needs to be a bit thicker so it's stronger, the front piece will need to be recast so that will slot into the pipe rather than just be glued to the outside, The stock will probably need remastering as there were some flaws in the mold (ask Steve....no wait don't ask Steve). And there's a bit of tinkering around to do before I start in on some more home made t-track and molding the scope (thanks Sam B).

more pics soon cheers!
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Just freakin' awesome.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

ok I managed to get some test casts done yesterday. This is to mainly check how well the mold is working and to give me a set of masters to work with to produce the final gun. Overall the casts are looking really nice. A couple of them are a PITA to use so I will eventually remaster a couple of pieces to make them easier to cast into.

There's very minimal clean up on the casts which is good. You can see all the paint wear and imperfections in the casts which will the replica a real world look. I'll be test fitting them to a pipe to make sure they fit properly before I go to the engineers to make a couple of test barrels.

The selector didn't come out in this cast blast it!

ok more pics soonish. I need to step off the project for a couple of days while I get some other work done but I'll be chipping away at it as I can
Armante
Commander
Commander

Post by Armante »

Wow
Just wow.

This is super awesome, OG! Very excited to finally see this happening. Detail is already looking good, and I'll be following this closely.
Glad someone came through after my guy didn't get back to me :/

Question: what version of the E-11 are you looking to recreate? ANH? Sourcing the Hengstler counter and correct scope might just be a tricky proposition too!
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Armante wrote:Wow
Just wow.

This is super awesome, OG! Very excited to finally see this happening. Detail is already looking good, and I'll be following this closely.
Glad someone came through after my guy didn't get back to me :/

Question: what version of the E-11 are you looking to recreate? ANH? Sourcing the Hengstler counter and correct scope might just be a tricky proposition too!
Thanks man yeah they are looking good so far there might be a couple that need remastering.

To be honest I'm not really sure which version! Sam B has offered his scope so that's an awesome start. Snibo has a scratch build counter that might work....I've got to brush up on my e11 lore but at this stage I am just trying to get a replica sterling out cheers!
Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Harvey Mushman »

That's a cool project.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Harvey Mushman wrote:That's a cool project.
Cheers Harvey yeah I've wanted to find one these for a couple of years now. Thanks to Steve I got the opportunity and now let the casting and sanding begin :)

The projects' on the back burner for a couple of weeks as I'm trying to get another sculpt out before I can concentrate properly on this. Too many projects for my brain :blink:
Green1000
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Green1000 »

Eng76 wrote:Not that I want to add to your to do list, but the sterling is also the base for the DH17.

Rebel Rebel!
You of all people should know that imperial gunners carry them too! Rebel scum!

DH17 is a great idea though, I'm sure there would be plenty of people wanting them