Any thoughts on buying AFA graded figures

Star Wars action figures, models, statues, stickers, cards, promotional items, and other collectibles.
AaroKin
Captain
Captain

Any thoughts on buying AFA graded figures

Post by AaroKin »

While hunting around for vintage figures I've always tended to steer clear of any AFA graded examples for a few reasons....

-The whole Toy Toni drama, if he got so many pieces through AFA surely others must have.

- They weren't authenticating loose weapons.

- Usually the price is way in above similar ungraded figures.

- The standard of 'trained' authenticators and the short amount of time they must spend on each figure.

To me it just seemed like a pointless cash grab by a collector who saw a way to fill a hole in the community that didn't really need fixing.....only my opinion....but I must say the cases look amazing and I'd happily pay for a figure to display with that kind if protection, its just the whole AFA grading system doesn't excite me at all.
2018 Star Wars Fan Awards
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Any thoughts on buying AFA graded figures

Post by MattG »

I don't put too much stock in the accuracy, reliability, or consistency of AFA grading, for the price premium that graded products seem to command, but i definitely like protecting my vintage figs, vehicles, and even boxes in good quailty acrylic. There are quite a few companies that do nice acrylic products along these lines (AFA do even sell their cases separately).

In case you haven't seen them before...
AaroKin
Captain
Captain

Re: Any thoughts on buying AFA graded figures

Post by AaroKin »

MattG wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:02 pm I don't put too much stock in the accuracy, reliability, or consistency of AFA grading, for the price premium that graded products seem to command, but i definitely like protecting my vintage figs, vehicles, and even boxes in good quailty acrylic. There are quite a few companies that do nice acrylic products along these lines (AFA do even sell their cases separately).

In case you haven't seen them before...

Cheers again Matt.....I just saw the plastic crack versions on Trade-Me so am just going through my figures to work out which ones I want in cases, maybe some odd choices because its not their market value that'll get them in a case but how much I like them (Constable Zuvio)

I see that AFA has/is stopping the U-Grading which to me is a good idea because I'd much rather have a figure on an original beat-up card then remove it and put it in a clear case.
2018 Star Wars Fan Awards