FAKES!

Star Wars action figures, models, statues, stickers, cards, promotional items, and other collectibles.
Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

FAKES!

Post by Harvey Mushman »

This is unfortunate. But I'm surprised it didn't happen before now:

http://www.theforce.net/story/front/eBa ... 158868.asp
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FAKES!

Post by MattG »

Interesting. Everyone's familiar with repro figures and cards, obviously, but the fake AFA case and certification sticker is new to me.
Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Harvey Mushman »

I'm surprised it took this long!
Captainsolo1978
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Captainsolo1978 »

AFA have even been grading the Toytoni Palitoy modern sealed figures. So I don't buy graded stuff anyway.
Anchorhead-Autos
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Anchorhead-Autos »

Hi I'm a newbie on here but long time collector. Never knew there were afa fakes but I guess when there's money in it people will do it. Speaking of fakes has anyone seen the bogus vintage 12'' prototype on trademe at the mo? While there were some ESB protos made up as samples this is definitely not one of them. Just a dressed up vintage Luke if I'm not mistaken? :mad:
Anchorhead Autos Ltd, you break them - we fix them. Finest speeder repairs this side of the Outer Rim...
Dawfydd
Captain
Captain

Post by Dawfydd »

Which auction are you talking about?
Gentle giant is releasing 12 inch versions of vintage figures.. and such which are new releases.
I couldn't find anything that looked odd listed now however but i don't know much about vintage really. ^_^
WTB
Cw44 Ashoka.
"Arc troopers 4pack", Rex phase 2 with knees.
Rys & Jek (in 2 packs)
Scythe(dvd)
Stealth trooper(w/jetpack)
CW56-ARF,Homing Spiderdroid (vehicle),At-Rt(s)
Action fleet Tie and Tie/In and x-wing(s)
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

I assume he's talking about this auction - http://www.trademe.co.nz/toys-models/vi ... 770500.htm which is claiming to be a prototype of the unproduced Luke X-wing 12" figure from about 1978. It doesn't look like the actual prototype shown here - http://theswca.com/index.php?action=dis ... m_id=39563
Anchorhead-Autos
Ensign
Ensign

MattG wrote:I assume he's talking about this auction - http://www.trademe.co.nz/toys-models/vi ... 770500.htm which is claiming to be a prototype of the unproduced Luke X-wing 12" figure from about 1978. It doesn't look like the actual prototype shown here - http://theswca.com/index.php?action=dis ... m_id=39563
Yes that's the one. Like your link says the real one is shown in Steve Sansweet's book, Star Wars, from Concept to Screen to Collectible. That's the book with the gold Vader figure case head on the cover. So why would anyone try to sell a fake? Pretty sad and unscrupulous if you ask me. I just hope no one falls for it.
:mad:
Anchorhead Autos Ltd, you break them - we fix them. Finest speeder repairs this side of the Outer Rim...
Dawfydd
Captain
Captain

Post by Dawfydd »

i don't know how my search didn't find it.. lol
But yeah that is a problem there are many people who would make fakes, or peddle them after buying them from others.
It could be somebody who just doesn't know better however the chances of that isn't likely.

They get a lot of it in the re-production weapons as well.. trying to complete your set if you played with them as a kid can be really troubling.
WTB
Cw44 Ashoka.
"Arc troopers 4pack", Rex phase 2 with knees.
Rys & Jek (in 2 packs)
Scythe(dvd)
Stealth trooper(w/jetpack)
CW56-ARF,Homing Spiderdroid (vehicle),At-Rt(s)
Action fleet Tie and Tie/In and x-wing(s)
Anchorhead-Autos
Ensign
Ensign

Can anyone tell me a fool-proof method of identifying reproduction vintage weapons and accessories. I used to be able to tell just looking at them but now I'm not so sure. I have heard of a float test but not sure how reliable that is as Pennywise once said- they all float down here. :cantina: